Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
knitpicky
Casting On

Making thumb holes on mittens
I would love it if someone could tell me how to make thumb holes on mittens.
I am knitting with double ended knitting needles for the first time and would love it if someone could enlighten me.
knitpicky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Duessa
1st Leg of the Journey

well, if they are fingerless you can do what I did for my bros mits. Just bind off about 4 and continue to knit your round. when you get to those bound off ones on the next row just cast on four to the needle in your right hand! Voila! continue knitting and you've got it. The pattern I got this idea from is here http://www.whatifknits.com/?cat=24

Finished: Arm warmers, dice bag, Hat for brother, two washrags, two tribbles

Duessa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duessa For This Useful Post:
knitpicky (09-16-2008)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Your pattern should walk you through it, but here's the basic ideas:

You'll increase to make room for what's called the "thumb gussett" which is that part of the mitten that makes room for that part of your palm which leads to your thumb.

You'll either put the thumb stitches on a holder (what usually happens with mittens on dpns) or you'll put the hand stitches on a holder (usually happens with 2-needle mittens). You'll finish whatever part is not on the holder(s) according to the directions, then go back and finish the other part of the mitten.

Does that answer your question?
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
knitpicky (09-16-2008)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
knitpicky
Casting On

Yeah that does help.
I hope you don't mind but I bookmarked http://www.whatifknits.com/?cat=24. I'll be checking on your blog from time to time.
Thanks guys it's pretty much what I figured but I needed someone to verify and since I'm going on common sense here and there is only one person I know who knits and she is like two hours away from me...(I end up teaching other people how to knit, what's that about?) This forum is going to be a great place for me to get important questions answered.
Also, I find sometimes when I do get a chance to talk to seasoned knitters that they assume I know this already...Nope. I can't even remember who taught me to knit, ( I think it was a church youth group and my grandma ) but it became my obsession to learn different ways to do things in knitting. I've been doing a garter stitch all my life, from about the age of nine or ten and not known what it was, I've learned from websites like this how to increase and purl and so forth.
Thank God for places online like this.
knitpicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Just a little more info for a little more clarification:

In most knitting patterns, once you've finished the cuff, you start to do the aforementioned increases for the thumb gusset (sometimes also called the gore). If you hold your hand in front of you, the fingers straight out but not held together, you'll see that just above your wrist, the thumb actually begins. It doesn't separate from the rest of the hand for a couple of inches higher up. So for those couple of inches, you're going to gradually make increases (usually increase 2 sts, then a couple of plain rows, then increase a couple more sts, then a couple more plain rows, etc.), so that you're creating a wedge that will stick out from the rest of the hand. Now you've come to the part where the thumb does actually separate from the hand-- so you will put the wegde (gusset/gore) sts on a holder. THEN you will usually cast on a couple of new sts (this just makes everything lie more smoothly, it just works better) and then go back to knitting the rest of the hand. Then at the end, you go back and to the thumb. This is a great, simple knitting pattern which my grandmother had-- I have her tattered copy, but it's now ( ) on line! Although they have reproduced in an altered form and it's harder to read. So just be careful about the numbers for whichever size you're using. Here's the link: http://www.freevintageknitting.com/m...s-pattern.html
One other thing about knitting mittens which 99% of patterns don't tell you-- when you go back to knit the thumb, at the end, they'll tell you to pick up those couple of cast on sts you made. The problem is that the way knitted fabric works, that will leave a little gap. So what you do is pick up-- say they tell you 3, then I'd pick up 5-- and then knit those 2 extra sts together with other sts in the next round. You'll be back to the right amount of sts, but you'll have tightened up that gap.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Falling2311
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Falling2311
ok...sorry but i'm going to just add my question here cuz it's about the thumb part for mittens too. i can't seem to understand how you go back to it. like, the pattern i had told me to finish the thumb, leave the hand part on a holder thingy and then go back to it after i finished the thumb. my problem was that b/c i had continued to knit the thumb and bound it off and cut the yarn like i had finished the entire project, when i went back to the hand part i realized i had no yarn attached to the hand to continue knitting! (am i making sense?) am i just supposed to tie yarn to one of the stitches or... what? how do i go back to knitting the hand part without yarn?
i have a feeling i'm doing something very wrong b/c i have yet to see any other beginners ask this question and there's no way when knitting a mitten they could've passed this issue if i did it right.
please help?
(sorry to take the topic off your question knitpicky but i figured since it's about making mittens...)

Mittens for Sarah- Due by December

Leg-warmers for Stace- Due by Christmas

Wrist-warmers for Lez- Due by Christmas

Scarves for Elicia and Baby- Due by Christmas; Possibly New Year's...

Falling2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
I normally put the thumb stitches on a string and continue the hand and then go back to the thumb stitches by attaching the yarn. I believe my mitten pattern has me pick up the stitches saved and then I cast on a couple of stitches where the thumb and hand meet to cover so that there won't be a small hole. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Falling3211: No, not a stupid question at all, and no, you're not doing anything wrong, and yes, you're making complete sense! It's something a lot of patterns don't tell you because I think they just forget what might be obvious to the pattern writer, who is experienced--
You DO have to reattach the yarn. What I do is start knitting with it, and after a couple of sts, go back and tie a knot. I find that those couple of sts anchor it down, and that if you just tie it down without those, it's a little hard to manage.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote