Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
How Do You Fit Exercise Into Your Schedule? / I Got My Treadmill!
Hi all!

Question...

If you exercise, when do you make time for it?

I've recently become aware that my clothes aren't fitting like they should, and I'm more than willing to accept that the fault doesn't lie with my washing machine. I'm sure it must have been my over-indulgence in chocolate.

I'm not what you would consider overweight...y'all would be tsk, tsking me for saying anything if you saw me. But I know my body and see myself unclothed.

Now that you have that mental image...

Anyhow, I have a couple of problems...

One: Motivation
Two: Time

One could argue that there's not enough time in the day.

Phooey.

Ideally, what I'd love to have is a treadmill. Of course, my budget will not allow for that.

So, I need to get outside and walk in the beautiful neighborhood I live in.

Easier said than done.

I have managed to walk three days in a row. I even got up at 5am this morning and walked...was so wonderful...72 degrees...took one of the dogs...

I will say that I feel so good afterward...makes me feel bad for hemming and hawing about it.

Anyhow, how do you get yourself motivated, and what are some ways you've discovered that help you fit it into your busy schedules?

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by auburnchick : 09-24-2008 at 06:43 PM.
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I do my pilates routine for 30 minutes at least three days a week.
I allow myself to watch TV while I'm doing it.
I'd love to ride my bike in the morning too, but it is just now becoming bearable enough to do that.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
I wish i could get the motervation as well. I am determind when i move next week its a new start. If ds's new school isnt to far we will be walking there everyday. I will be starting to work my fatty ponies again (not ride just yet but this is a good start). and i plan to learn to ride a bike, i never did it as a child so should be a chalange on staying on .

If you find soemthing id love to know so i can make myself get my butt into gear as well
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Almost 20 years ago I joined a gym...I was scared, unmotivated, shy, you name it. But I joined because I was recovering from a severe back injury and vowed never to have that happen again.

I started by taking beginner aerobics classes. Within 2 weeks I was hooked! It was like going out to play with my friends. Within 6 months I made a bunch of new friends and was the happiest I had ever been.

Within 1 year I got my personal training certification and group exercise certification. I started to teach...admittedly not easy but before long I was a pro and was pulling great numbers in my classes.

So I got paid to exercise! I was wonderful and sooooo much fun.

Joining a gym is hard but if you find the right place it can be a lot of fun and you will find yourself looking forward to it as part of your social life Most folks don't go on to teach or train but a gym membersip can be a wonderful thing!

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

I totally miss being home full-time. I used to walk my kids to school...later bike with them. Then I'd head over to the gym for a couple of hours before volunteering at their schools.

I work part-time now, and I get home around 2:45, although with all of the running around I've been doing lately, it's sometimes as late as 5 before I get to the house. I'm fortunate, I know.

Sigh...

Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Yes, I loved the gym. My problem now is in the going and getting back.

I've found that I can do things here and there, such as doing calf raises (going on tip toes) when I'm brushing my teeth or doing my makeup. I can get in some squats when I'm watching TV. Same thing for the crunches, although it would be nice to have a clean floor.

Last night, I pulled out the weights and did a few things for my shoulders and triceps. Course, after I thought I pulled something in my right arm, I stopped.

It's called exercise. Something my arm is apparently not used to.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
figaro
Working the Gusset

I have a treadmill and I do need to use it more. Now that the kids are in school I have a hour or so in the afternoon when the youngest is taking her nap, I am walking on it then. And since its in the basement with the tv, it is not that boring!

Have you checked out Craigs List for your area? Every now and then, I go on there just to check things out and see treadmills. You might find one in good shape for not a lot of money.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-16-2008)
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
For me it's called "work".

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

I wear a pedometer every day. Have you heard of the 10,000 steps a day program? I have been doing this for 5+ years. I try to get between 10 and 15,000 steps a day. I also do pilates or core secrets between 3 and 5 times a week. I have slacked off a little and I have had a lot more back and shoulder pain (lifting DD at 75 lbs contributes to that!)
I totally understand about the clothes not fitting how they should. That is one of the things that got me started. Also, knowing that I needed to be able to lift and care for DD has been a motivator. I can't really go to a gym, so I have to be my own monitor on this.
Oh and how tight my jeans fit!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I was into doing a bit of pilates at the end of the night. That is when I was working. I found about 3 DVDs that I could rotate, and each had workouts that varied from 5-10 mins, and could be customized. So if I had more than 10 mins, I could get a bit more in. Only needed a mat...

These days, I have been off and fighting the urge to just knit 24 hours straight...but I take the dog for a walk...for at least 45 mins a day...and that is keeping me....well...where I was before I was laid off...*smiles*

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote