Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
Remnants of Ike came through Ohio
Remnants from Hurricane Ike came through Ohio on Sunday. We lost power Sunday afternoon, along with approx. 1.9 million other Ohioans. We were lucky though, we were without power for only 20 hours (just long enough for everything in our fridge and freezer to go bad), while the electric companies are saying some people could be without for a week. My Parents and both of my sisters are still without power, and one of my sisters and her family live just down the street from us. Local airports are reporting that the winds got up to 75 MPH in some areas. There are fallen trees and branches everywhere. 6 deaths have been reported so far. My kids are on their second day of no school due to power outages. My next door neighbors tree in their front yard split and 1/2 the tree fell, blocking our driveway and the street. It missed landing on DH's car by only a few feet. Click here to see some pics of the downed tree. Dh and I got the larger branches removed from our lawn yesterday, and today I'm going out there with the kids and we'll get the sticks, twigs and leaves taken care of.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
Just a quick update: My Mom just called and their power just came back on!!!

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Jeremy
Mod Squad

My son just moved to Columbus and his power is off. He's really bummed cause he just bought a bunch of food.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
KnittingNana
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to KnittingNana
My husband is in a hotel in Dublin while on a job in Columbus. The hotel was without power for only 5 hours or so on Sunday. He said that on Sawmill Rd near the college airport, an cool old knarly tree is split in half. The warehouse they're working out of had power yesterday, but the materials for the new roof being put on are everywhere but on the roof. There is a place near there where they sell steel containers. Even some of those were blown off the stacks. The actual plant where he's putting in some equipment still didn't have power yesterday & might not for a week.

Living in Texas all our lives & nowhere near the coast, he was just amazed & stunned at the wind gusts. He said it was such an odd feeling!

KnittingNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
cheley
Working the Gusset

Yep, I live 25 miles west of Cleveland, it was non stop winds for over 2 hours, I am still picking up tree limbs and yes that poor family of the little boy in a town not far from us. If that was just a "fraction" of hurricane winds" holy moly!!!! I freak out when we have tornado warnings..but that was really somethin else
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
Can they buy a generator to save the food?
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

we had the same in sw pa. Fortunately I didn't lose power or have any damage but a lot of others did. I can't imagine being right where ike made land fall. That must be awful!

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
LoAnnie
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm in Houston
We're in the North part of Houston. It was a pretty tremendous storm. Some people still don't have power and it's been 2 weeks. We stayed through it, and we're all fine, but I must admit I got scared. At about 3am, it started to get really bad where I'm at, and I grabbed the baby and layed on the floor almost under the bed. The walls were actually flexing due to the pressure differential when the wind would pass by. I don't know if I would stay for another one. We didn't have that much damage, but it was frightening. My husband slept through it. How are all of the other Houston area knitters? I just got online for the first time since the storm, so excuse me if there is another thread.

LoAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
to all those down South and still dealing with the aftermath of Ike...

I'm in OH and lost power on Sunday and didn't get it back till Saturday. We didn't know what to do first take hot baths or laundry lol (the baths one nothing like a cold shower). I know some in town didn't get it back on till earlier this week (Tues/Wed).

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote