Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Am I understanding this toe decrease?
I'm doing the Basic Child's Pattern for Regia Jacquard socks and while I think I understand what they want, it's not clear the way it's written.

Instructions say:

After left hand marker, k1, ssk, k to three sts from next marker, k2 tog, k1, sm, knit 26, sm, k around It's the 'knit around' here that is confusing me.

Sm, k1, ssk, k to three sts from next marker, k2 tog, k1

The instructions for these are on one circular, which I am doing. My BOR is on the side, and as I start knitting, I'm going across the bottom of the foot, which is 26 sts. Then when I change sides, the top of the foot is also 26 sts.

I read this as meaning I decrease on just the back in one round, and just the front in the next round. The way it's written though, it's almost like I would only decrease on each side on just the back (when I start my round, I'm doing the bottom of the foot, so I call it the back, while the top of the foot I call the front).

When it says 'knit around', do I knit an entire round again? That would make the decreases on just the bottom of the foot, which I find weird. Or do I knit around to the next marker? Is my BOR wrong and I should be doing decreases on just the top of the foot? Am I completely misreading these instructions? Should I forget these instructions and just do a toe I'm familiar with?

Am I confusing you as much as I'm confusing myself trying to figure this out?

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience

Last edited by Knit4Pie : 09-17-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Rearranged to make it clearer
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
MainelyKnitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to MainelyKnitting
Originally Posted by Knit4Pie View Post
After left hand marker, k1, ssk, k to three sts from next marker, k2 tog, k1, sm, knit 26, sm, k around It's the 'knit around' here that is confusing me.
Yes, it means to knit one round without decreasing - or - "one round even" as I've seen it commonly called.

Any sock or mitten patterns I've ever made call for this "one round even" in between rounds of decreasing, it makes for a better looking FO.

My BLOG
MainelyKnitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I've never made a child's sock, so I'm not sure how they typically decrease for the toe. It is confusing as written, possible wrong. There's a link at the bottom of the pattern to email the designer - can you try that?

Or else if you've made other child socks I would use a toe decrease you already know.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

So that means I only decrease on the bottom of the foot, and not on the top. That is certainly strange, I've never seen that before. Usually you decrease on each side, both front and back (or rather top and bottom). That will be one lopsided sock!

Guess I'll have to email and check.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
knitgal
Working the Gusset

That is a confusing direction. Personally I would ignore the "knit around" part and just do it as a traditional sock decrease.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote