Old 09-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Ooooohhh-- the video explains it! Thanks for the link! Right-- okay, try doing this, instead: Pick up a stitch-- you can do one, or several in a row-- coming the other way, with a needle in your left hand. Then with the 2nd needle in your right hand, purl off of it, as if the stitch (or stitches) on the left needle were live instead of just picked up, if you know what I mean. It isn't the way you're used to doing it, but it will get you what you want, and you might be able to figure out how to do it the video way in purl, after you've done that.

To do it the video way, but in purl: do you see at about the 58 second mark, she's pushing the needle into the stitch she wants to pick up, away from her. Then at the 1 minute/1 second mark, she's taking the needle and going over the working strand of yarn then behind it, and then catching it and pulling it through the picked-up stitch, towards her? To do it in purl, do this:
Come from behind the stitch you want to pick up, with the needle and poke it through towards you. Then come above the working strand of yarn, then in front of it, and then catch it and pull it back through the picked-up stitch, away from you.

Try both ways and see which you like better.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
G J (09-21-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Have you actually tried this, cuz I keep trying it and I get the stitches on the WRONG side of the fabric. I'm usually not stupid, but this is just eatin' my lunch here!
Yes, I have, the way brittyknits describes it in the 2nd part of her post just above this one. I don't know why you're getting the purl sts on the WS. Yep, pictures would really help...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,955 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
Originally Posted by brittyknits View Post
Ooooohhh-- the video explains it! Thanks for the link! Right-- okay, try doing this, instead: Pick up a stitch-- you can do one, or several in a row-- coming the other way, with a needle in your left hand. Then with the 2nd needle in your right hand, purl off of it, as if the stitch (or stitches) on the left needle were live instead of just picked up, if you know what I mean. It isn't the way you're used to doing it, but it will get you what you want, and you might be able to figure out how to do it the video way in purl, after you've done that.
I'm trying this way --still getting the stitch on the wrong side the other way, so here goes, but one more (hopefully only one) question:
When you say "Pick up a stitch coming the other way" can you clarify? What exactly am I picking up? The way I usually do it (see video) you don't actually pick up anything but your working yarn between existing stitches. What do I pick up?

again....thanks SO much for your patience and help!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Cam, I want a purl BUMP on the right side, so picking up as usual and THEN purling isn't giving me what I want. That gives me a knit row first, then a purl row. I want a purl row first. I don't even know if this is possible?!?
Okay. When I orig posted :

Quote:
The first row of sts worked after pick up is the WS so you'd K them so that the P st is on the RS.
I assumed you were working flat. My instr would give you P on RS in that case.

If I were picking up and working ITR I'd pick up the req'd sts (acts much like your CO when starting a project) and then would P the first round (even tho your pattern says to work M2 which starts with a K row). You picked up and then P'd and the pickup shows as a K row?

I've done the PU and then followed with P row on right side (ITR) and liked the results.

cam
Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
G J
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cam90066 View Post

If I were picking up and working ITR I'd pick up the req'd sts (acts much like your CO when starting a project) and then would P the first round (even tho your pattern says to work M2 which starts with a K row). You picked up and then P'd and the pickup shows as a K row?

I've done the PU and then followed with P row on right side (ITR) and liked the results.

cam
I did that with the first of these tops I made and just wasn't happy with the results. I sure wish y'all were nearby and could SHOW me how to pick up and PURL!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

When I say "pick up", what I mean is the motion of putting the needles through the old stitch that is already part of the fabric, or when I say "the picked up stitch", I mean the old stitch that is already part of the fabric. When I talk about actually pulling the live strand of yarn, I'm calling that "catching". Does that make sense?

Okay-- now-- here's what I think you may be seeing: when you purl as you pick up stitches, each time you do it, each stitch you work, you'll get a loop on the needle. Right in front of that, you'll get a bar of yarn across it, so that the loop is coming out of the back side of the fabric. The right side of the fabric is facing you, but it looks like the loop is behind the fabric, is that right? If it is, then that's what you want! The bar of fabric immediately below the stitch is the purl bump. Yes? No? If not, keep asking, we'll get there. Or your husband will come home with camera and we'll figure it out with visual aides .
G J (09-21-2008)
Old 09-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Just thought of something-- try this: cast on 10 sts or so and knit a few rows and then bind off. Then, try picking up some of those sts and purling them, the way you're trying to do with this sweater. Then keep going with whatever you're supposed to do with the next few rows. Are you getting that row of purl bumps you're looking for? If so, then that's it, and do the same thing on the sweater.
G J (09-21-2008)
Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #18
G J
Instepping Out

Y'all are being ever so patient. Thank you!

So I lied. I have more than one question.

Am I working right to left or left to right?
Is the raw edge of the fabric towards me or away from me?
Is the right (public) side on top or bottom?
Do I put the needle between stitches and pick up a bar and purl that?
Or do I put the needle through two as in the video?
Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
I did that with the first of these tops I made and just wasn't happy with the results.
:(

Quote:
I work right to left...meaning my ndl is in the right hand and the crochet sts are placed on it.

Quote:
Away.

Quote:
If you want the seam on the WS you pick up, as I noted, on the RS.

Quote:
I pick up using new yarn. Insert crochet hook btwn sts, pull up loop and place on the working ndl.

cam
G J (09-21-2008)
Old 09-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
The way I usually do it (see video) you don't actually pick up anything but your working yarn between existing stitches. What do I pick up?
You pick up your working yarn. But do it as if you were purling. The usual way of doing it as in the video, is as if you were knitting.

Quote:
Or do I put the needle through two as in the video?
Hmmmm, that's actually 5 more questions...

R to L or L to right depends how you do it. If it's as in the video, it's right to left. The edge is on top, the RS facing you. Put the needle through the st and purl it. In the video the needle isn't actually through 2 sts, it's through both strands of the BO edge, the chain.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
G J (09-21-2008)