Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
DF got bitten by a crossbow!....
Hello all...

I just had to share a really funny story with you....

This weekend, I had a fitting for my bridesmaids. While we were all gathered in one place, we decided to have a bbq and work on my favours for the wedding (pear jam).

So after dinner, the 5 of us girls herded into the kitchen to start with the jam, while 4 guys (one of us is partnerless...) went to go play bows. One Crossbow and one Compound bow.

It was starting to get dark, and we hadn't seen or heard from the guys for a while, which is totally fine...until my best friends husband casually walks into the house, and casually walks out of the house....with not too much notice....one of us noticed some gauze, but didn't think too much of it....

Next thing, the same guy walks back into the house, looks at me and says "where is Chris' wallet?", I looked right back at him and said "Is there still a wedding?" He enthusiastically says "Oh yes..." So I said "Then you don't really need his wallet then" and he replies "Oh we still need his wallet...." I pointed him to my purse and he was off....

We don't hear much but start to worry a bit...one of my friends went out too see what was going on as two of the men calmly walk into the house and leave it again with bleach...

It wasn't until much later we found out that the one tip the crossbow owner neglected to say was to keep your thumb out of the way of the string when it is released....
DF ended up with a compound fracture of his thumb. Basically he broke half the nail off, de-gloved the top of his thumb and broke the tip.

Of course one of my first questions to the remaining two men (my DF and the owner of the crossbow, who was also thankfully a volenteer fireman - had a paramedics first aid kit incidentally) Did you not want to tell me because you didn't want the girls to take your toys away?....

The whole thing was a very bizarre night...but at the same time...funny as all heck...He is ok...a little sore....and hopped up on T3's...but just the guys sneaking around trying not to "get in trouble" was just too funny....

as for the jam...we made 3 major mistakes, and it still turned out really good! We added the sugar before boiling the fruit (oops) we 4x the recipe, (they say to do one at a time or else it might not set) and we pureed the pears (instructions said not to, just to crush the fruit)....we kinda read the instructions after the fact...but despite all the epic fails...we actually came out with a VERY nice jam.....*winks*

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

*shakes head*

Glad that your soon-to-be-husband is OK. Crossbows can be tricksy! but compound fractures can give you some excellent x-rays if he every goes to a hospital with it!
I guess it doesn't matter how old they are, if they think they have done something silly that they might get in trouble for, they will still skulk around like a guilty 4 year old!

The jam sounds yummy!

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Mike
Working the Gusset

"Play bows"???

I've heard of people losing digits by having them in the way of the string on a crossbow.

When you asked if there was still a wedding I would've given you a thumbs up.

I don't know if it's as much about getting in trouble as it is about not wanting to cause hysteria. When I came in (as a kid) with my knee hanging out after a motorcycle wreck I told my dad and my mother had to nose in and started screaming. I knew better than to tell her, should've closed the bathroom door.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
Yikes. I'm glad he didn't hurt more than his thumb and that he'll be okay!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
Did you not want to tell me because you didn't want the girls to take your toys away
Might want to make a "no toys that could injure important parts" rule as the wedding gets closer...
Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Mike
Working the Gusset

Quote:
leave it again with bleach...
What was the bleach for anyway?

YouTube channel
Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
What was the bleach for anyway?

Washing the blood off the driveway....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
Washing the blood off the driveway....
At least they cleaned up after themselves.

YouTube channel