Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #1
Krista
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Krista
Center pull ball
What is the purpose of doing a center pull ball versus just rolling the yarn into a ball that the yarn comes off the outside? Is there a benefit to doing it this way? Just came across the video and was curious.
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Krista View Post
What is the purpose of doing a center pull ball versus just rolling the yarn into a ball that the yarn comes off the outside? Is there a benefit to doing it this way? Just came across the video and was curious.
The biggest thing for me is that it keeps the ball from rolling all over the place. Center pulls tend to stay in place, yarn coming off the outside tends to make the ball roll all over - at least that's been my experience.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

That's the advantage I find too. I like yarn cakes better than balls though, they sit nice an flat.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
LalaBee
Ribbing the Cuff

Ooooh! I like that! My yarn does tend to run away on me at times and sometimes it goes places it isn't easy to get to! I was actually just reading about the sentre-pull ball a few moments ago in Elizabeth Zimmerman's book Knitting Workshop and she suggested it for wool in particular because wool can stretch while being used and then go back to its shape, causing a garment to shrink. She said that using a centre pull ball causes the wool to relax as it is being used. To be brief.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Mike
Working the Gusset

If you're stuck using a non-center pull and don't want to re-wrap it, put it in a bowl to keep it from rolling.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I hate when my ball keeps rolling away. I like the center pull yarn cakes I make and then they sit right next to me while I knit. There is a video here in KH on the video tab. Not sure off hand which section.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
My personal preference is from the center so that it doesn't roll all over. I did see at a craft fair last weekend a wooden contraption that you put the skein of yarn over this dowel and then when you unwrap from the outside it stays put and rolls on the dowel. It seemed like a good idea.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Mike View Post
If you're stuck using a non-center pull and don't want to re-wrap it, put it in a bowl to keep it from rolling.
or put that rolling ball inside a (clean!) flower pot with a hole in the bottom, turn it unside down and run the end of the yarn out the hole.

I, too, prefer a center pull cake/ball.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

It also depends on how your yarn comes. If you get in a hank you have to wind it up before you use it. Might as well be wound into a nice center-pull cake. It's so easy to do too. I use a paper towel tube. Put a length through the tube then wind around the outside of the tube, toward the top. Don't cross over the top of the tube, then when your done, tuck the loose end in and pull the whole thing off! A piece of Cake as it were!
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Sunshine's Mom View Post
It also depends on how your yarn comes. If you get in a hank you have to wind it up before you use it. Might as well be wound into a nice center-pull cake....

What I'd like to know, is WHY they come in hanks to begin with. I spend all this money on some yummy yarn and I am the one who has to wind it up into a cake? I don't have a winder and all my hand attempts work ok, but result in awful knots somewhere.

Why don't they COME in cakes?