Old 09-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
OldGreenMare
Casting On

Question re: "every 4 rnds" and "every 2 rnds"
As I approach the neck of this stupid sweater, I fear that I am going to have many questions for you experienced knitters...

The pattern said to do some decreases, and then work 3 rounds even. No problem. Now it says "decrease in this manner every 4 rnds 1 time more. Then repeat decrease rnd every 2 rnds 16 times." (And after 4.5 inches I'm supposed to simultaneously do something else, but I don't even want to go there yet!)

So after the three rounds even, I did another decrease round. Now I'm not sure if I do four rounds and then decrease again, or if I do three and decrease on the fourth? And not sure if "every 2 rnds" means every other round, or every third round?

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I haven't had any coffee since this morning, and my brain hurts...

Thanks in advance!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGreenMare View Post
As I approach the neck of this stupid sweater, I fear that I am going to have many questions for you experienced knitters...

The pattern said to do some decreases, and then work 3 rounds even. No problem. Now it says "decrease in this manner every 4 rnds 1 time more. Then repeat decrease rnd every 2 rnds 16 times." (And after 4.5 inches I'm supposed to simultaneously do something else, but I don't even want to go there yet!)

So after the three rounds even, I did another decrease round. Now I'm not sure if I do four rounds and then decrease again, or if I do three and decrease on the fourth? And not sure if "every 2 rnds" means every other round, or every third round?

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I haven't had any coffee since this morning, and my brain hurts...

Thanks in advance!
Pattern directions are very literal.

I find it helpful to write out my directions. Such as in your case:

Round 1-3: even

Rounds 4-6: even [3 rounds even]
Round 7: decrease as set forth [4th round of the sequence]

Rounds 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 37: even
Rounds 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39: do decreases as set forth
[NOTE: Rounds 8-39 fullfill the job of dec every other round 16 times]

Now you mention that something else might need to occur within (at the same time as) Rounds 1-39. Just figure where they should occur and write that requirement in the appropriate round as an extra special chore.

I have been knitting since the Flood, and I still write out my 'job requirements'. It prevents errors, and really, after the writing out is done, the knitting just sails along. You know exactly what you should do, when and where! No guessing, no frogging.

Hope this helps...and I am certain that other knitters may also have something helpful to add!

Knit on Good Woman!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
OldGreenMare (09-23-2008)
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
OldGreenMare
Casting On

Thank you, ArtLady! I actually do write out every single step, but I wasn't sure what to write for this one. I think I'll just print out your reply and stick it in my knitting book!

I guess I already decreased when I shouldn't have, but I'll try to get back on track. Something tells me that will be the least of my worries when this mess finally comes off the needles!

Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No it sounds as if you did it right, you k 3 rounds, then decreased; so you decreased on the 4th round. After the 2nd dec on the 4th round, then you switch to every other round.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote