Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
rdy4fn24
Casting On

first sweater
Hello,
I'm knitting my first adult sweater and I'm a bit confused on how to start. I understand the different sizes and which number i need to follow. I am following the third size. Here is the pattern....

Pattern Stitch
Eyelet ST(mulitple of 8 sts +5)
Row 1 (RS) k1*yo, CDD,yo,k5, rep from * across , end last rep k1 instead of k5
Row 2 purl across
Row 3 knit across
Row 4 Purl across
Rep Rows 1-4 for pat.

Beg pat(RS): K1(1,0,3...) (edge sts, keep in St st throughout), work in eyelet St pat across center 53(61,69,69,...) sts, end k1(1,0,3,...)(edge sts, keep in St st throughout). This is basically where I am lost to start i guess.

Continue to work even as established until back measures 18(18,18,18...)inches from beg, ending with row 2 of pat; place a marker at each side of underarm.

I am confused with the zero in the begining of pattern. I also don't understand what it means to work in eyelet ST across center.
rdy4fn24 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

The 0 just means you don't do it. Patterns like this are written out for multiple sizes; the sizes have different numbers of stitches, and so need different amounts of 'padding'. (The pattern stitch will only work for 8x+5 stitches; the third size in parentheses has 6 extra stitches, which isn't enough for a full pattren repeat, so it puts those stitches on the edge. The size you're doing is exactly 8x+5 and so doesn't need any padding.

Working in eyelet stitch across center (which for you is the whole thing) means to follow the pattern listed above: k1, yo, CDD (which it probably tells you elsewhere how to do), yo, k5, yo, CDD, yo, k5, continue repeating the yo+CDD+yo+k5 all the way across until you run out of stitches; the last time you do the repeat, you end up with k1 *instead of* the k5.

(Really, if you find it easier to think about, it's k1, then yo+CDD+yo, then k5, then yo+CDD+yo, then k5, and repeating the yo+CDD+yo with 5 knit stitches between them, then k1 at the end of the row.)

I knit, therefore I am.

Current projects: a hat, one pair of socks, a pair of fingerless gloves, and zero sanity. Future projects: more socks, more gloves (some with fingers, even!), a tea cozy, a penguin scarf, and even less sanity.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isabeau For This Useful Post:
rdy4fn24 (09-24-2008)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
rdy4fn24
Casting On

Thanks so much, I appreciate your time in helping me. its funny how once things are explained they seem so obvious.
rdy4fn24 is offline   Reply With Quote