Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
i use susan bates circs. I found that with my carpal tunnel, Circs in general are easier and Susan bates are just what i happen to have available at the stores near me (i HATE boyes with a passion, they're so pointy that they hurt my fingers and split the yarn). I have to say though, that part of the fun being on the oddball blankets is i get to try a variety of needles and all it costs me is the fun I have working on the blankets and a bit of yarn plus postage

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
kaidyddd
1st Leg of the Journey

Aero/Prym/Inox are great needles. I use them all the time. The price is perfect too.
They are pointy and I like pointy needles for knitting--I never liked the regular Addi's because they weren't pointy enough the Addi Lace needles are much better--I've purchased some for the metric sizes that aren't available with the Inox.

The Aero/Prym/Inox needles have a bit of drag to them--they are smooth, but not as slippery as other brands that I've tried. I also think that they are lightweight to compared to other brands.

What I don't particularly like are the cables on the circular needles. These needles always need the hot water treatment to relax the cables. Then when I store them, I don't try to put them back in the package, I try to store them as open/loose as possible.
kaidyddd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kaidyddd For This Useful Post:
GrammyLee (09-29-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
As ArtLady said Knit Picks Options. I have the metal set AFTER investing in straights. Bought the whole set of straights and all the y do is sit in my case.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 AM   #14
MarisaLoveCat
Casting On

i have finished most of my projects with bamboo needles. while each kind of needle has its own strong pionts. i prefer the bamboo needles because of their warmth and the nature feel in my hands. and according to my knitting experience the bamboos can keep the stitches from dropping off.
MarisaLoveCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I think I have a zillion knitting needles ... I love them all, even the ones I don't use.... they go with my zillion knitting books and magazines and my zillions of "notions" (needle sizers, stitch markers, etc) and zillions and zillions of skeins, hanks and odds and ends of YARN .... all of this... thanks to KH and threads like this

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #16
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Way back when I first learned, it was pretty much plastic straights, with a few circulars. After for whatever insane reason I put my knitting aside for several years, the only ones I could find were aluminum. Hated them. I was basically reteaching myself, and they were too darn slippery for my skills...stitches would slip off, I never could retrieve them properly, and it caused much frustration.

I knit exclusively with Clover bamboos, and LOVE them. My work has NO tendency to slide off, yet when knitting the stitches move easily. Other than dpns, I don't use straights anymore - everything is done on circs. No worries about the work slipping off the end, the weight of big projects is spread out over the entire needle, and you can pretty much knit anything with them.

My favorite needles by far are Clover bamboo circs. Can't guarantee they'll be yours, but I think they're great!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
I learned on alluminum straights. They were ok - i didn't know better. Then I got a pair of bamboo circs to make a hat. LOVED them and they got me to knit a tab bit looser - helped my hands not to cramp.

Then, since i wanted all the sizes in circulars, i bought the Denise interchangeable set. I will probably never pick up straight needles again, regardless of what they are made of. I'm saving up for the Harmony options, or the nickel version. I can't decide which to get, but the wood ones are just beautiful.

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
AAngels
1st Leg of the Journey

I LOVE WOODS BEST! I EVEN HAVE SIZE 50 WOODS. THEY R FUN.
I HAVE ONE PAIR OF CIRCULARS, BUT NOTUSED TO USING THEM QUITE YET.

Kathy
AAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #19
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but all I have are Boye needles and I like them just fine. However, I've never tried anything else. I had bought Boye needles in most of the sizes that I need, and I haven't bought any new ones in a long time. I do agree that circulars, really a set of interchangeable circulars is the most efficient set to get, since you can use them for anything. My only complaint with circulars is that sometimes when I'm using really big needles, like size 10, the stitches will sort of 'stack up' at the point where the narrow cable tapers up to the wide needle, and I have to stop knitting and fix them.

For very, very small diameter knitting (the tops of hats or socks), you'll either need a long enough cable to do magic loop (I don't have this), or circular needles of the same size, OR a set of double pointed needles.
munchkin928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I have at least half Boye needles, some older, some newer. Most of them I like because of the pointy ends, though in the bigger sizes (over size 11) I like blunter tips. I have a few wood one that are nice, as are some of the old resin ones. All of them are circs.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote