Old 09-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
pixiepurls
1st Leg of the Journey

help with my hands
hello all, I have a question about what to use on my hands.

I've been knitting for 4 years or so now, I've never had a problem with my hands being dry etc. Well about 6 months ago I burnt my knitting finger on a pot or something while cooking. (my right hand index finger) right on the side the needle/wool always touch. Sense then if I knit with that hand the skin dries out awful. I can't knit with a bandaid on because I can't feel the yarn/needle properly. What can I put on it to help?
pixiepurls is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
TheKnittingMavin
Casting On

Save your hands
I have been knitting for several years now, and have found that I develop ugly calluses, and occasionally have burns or cuts on the fingers I use most when knitting.

In my experience, the best thing you can do to protect your finger once you've already sustained an injury (be it a burn, a cut or the beginnings of a callus), go to a drug store and pick up a roll of self-adhesive athletic tape. It's kind of like an ace bandage without the clips. It's a rubbery material that hair and yarn do not stick to, but it sticks to itself, so it doesn't get in your way.

it's a nice squishy material, so it doesn't interfere with your knitting work, but it provides a nice cushion to protect whatever wound you're trying to work with.

Give it a shot. I don't knit without them now, mostly to prevent calluses.

Let me know how it works out for you!
TheKnittingMavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Krystal
Turning the Heel

I work in a kitchen and am constantly burned or cut. Presently I have a bandaid on my right pointer, and while it's annoying, it's better there, than on my thumbs. lol.

I use a cuticle oil on my fingers before I go to bed, It keeps my cuticles healthy and keeps the yarn handling part of my fingers from drying out. Which they do quite badly if I don't use the oil. I didn't intend to do this, but one drop of the cuticle oil spreads VERY easily and so I ended up oiling my entire fingers and it ended up being a good thing.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
GrandmaLori
Knitting the Flap

OOOh I must try that. Some yarns and also just life in general really give me dry scratchy hands. My kids all say their dad has soft hands like a woman and their mom has yucky harsh hands.