Old 09-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
waverley
Casting On

Binding off at both ends? Newbie needing help
Hi all,

I am just new to your community, but I was hoping someone could help me with a wool soaker pattern I am working on.

The pattern requires me to "bind off at the beginning of the next 8 rows i.e. at both edges of the work" to decrease the work by 32 stitches. Now to me that sounds impossible because you can only bind off at the start of a row (not both edges) meaning I am only decreasing by 16 stitches (8x2).

Has anyone got any tips? I am from Oz, and down here we use the term "cast off" not bind off, so I thought perhaps I was mis-interpreting the term bind off.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
waverley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Waverly,
You are correct in only binding off (cast off) at the start of the row. So, what the pattern is asking you to do is bind off (cast off) the first 4 stitches of each row and work to the end of the row in pattern (bind off (cast off) on both the Right Side [Public] and Wrong Side [Private]) for 8 rows consecutively, resulting in a decrease of 32 stitches. HTH.

Welcome to the group.

Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
waverley
Casting On

Thanks Mystery_Gyrl.

Sorry but, I just realised I didn't make it clear the pattern says "bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of the next 8 rows", and has a picture to accompany it (see page 2).
[url="http://www.ottobredesign.com/en/print/pdf/wool_diaper_cover_en.pdf"]

I am just worried if I bind off four stitches in each row for eight rows then I am decreasing too quickly.

I am thinking it is just vague pregnant brain, but I cannot make sense of this pattern!

How do I go from 42 stitches, bind off 2 for 8 rows, to end up with 10 stitches, unless I am supposed to bind off 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 8 rows and the pattern is wrong...
waverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It does say to BO at the beginning of the next 8 rows, so that's how you do it. After you're done and you look at it from the RS, you see that it is on both edges, just not done on the same rows.

It's poorly written, if you look at the diagram, it does show 2 sts decreased at both edges 8 times each. I think it meant to be 'dec 2 sts at the beg of the row 8 times for each side' and that means, over 16 rows actually. If you look at the stairstepped BOs, there's 8 on each side.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
waverley (09-27-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
NorthernMama
Casting On

I too am a newbie working on this same pattern and I am stuck at the same spot as Waverley. Thanks for answering this - it would never have occurred to me to decrease 2 stitches per row over 16 rows based on how it is written.
NorthernMama is offline   Reply With Quote