Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Will I achieve my 2008 Knitting Goal?
Yeah, back in Janurary...I opened my trap and made the statement:
MY 2008 KNITTING GOAL is: 1) learn to do entrelac, 2) learn to knit a sock.

Well, the meter is running! It is almost October!

I bit the bullet...and took a class last Saturday! Entrelac.
It was 3 hrs. I was a tad disappointed. The class scarf was "garterlac". Yack.

I wanted to learn "entrelac"...you know...where the right side of the little squares and triangles is stocking stitch.

Well, I muddled along, trying to follow the pattern along using knits on the right side, and purls on the wrong side. Didn't get too far. No one did.

I tore out my scarf when I got home.

Yesterday, I googled the word "entrelac"...and printed out 4 really great entrelac tutorials. I feel good about the visuals and photos.

The class was worth the effort. It did help me get over a few really mysterious points in transitioning from squares to triangles at the beginning and ends of rows. So I have plans for an entrelac scarf for my dear Granddaughter! Will cast on in October.

Now....about the socks:

I have not, as yet, mustered up the courage to try a sock.
I taught myself how to do magicloop technique!
Played Amy's magicloop video about a hundred times!

I hate working with dpn's. Just hate it.

So, my sock endeavor will have to employ either magicloop, or the 2-circulars method.

Can someone steer me? Which is easiest to apply to sock knitting...
and which one gives the nicest looking sock? I know it might be an opinion question, but I'd appreciate your input!

And, which lesson/tutorial would you recommend? A lot of people can knit well...but not a lot of people can TEACH well.

I really wanna achieve my 2008 Knitting Goal...and thereby join the rest of the world of knitters and make a gosh darn sock!

Interesting tidbit: one of my knitter magazines has a sock tutorial for ENTRELAC SOCKS! Teehee!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
DQ
Working the Gusset

Well personally I love Silver's sock tutorial --> http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

I jumped straight in with the 'One toe up sock on 2 circular needles' one and did well with it I hope to try the 'Two toe up socks on 1 circular needle' lesson soon
ArtLady1981 (09-30-2008)
Old 09-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Personally, I prefer to use two circular needles rather than magicloop (I do not like the flappy cord); it is easier also for me to use when I am traveling on mass transit (bus and or train).

As for tutorials, I learned how to make socks from watching an episode of Knitty Gritty. But since that might not be an option for you, I have heard some positive things about the Lucy Neatby DVDs on sock knitting (the DVDs cost approx. $30 [shipping not included]). And I can vouch for her friendly-chatty manner in teaching, also I like that the shots of her knitting are over the shoulder close-ups. You can see a sample of both DVDs at this address:
http://www.tradewindknits.com/dvd_video_clips.html

Whatever manner you choose I think you will do a fine job, ArtLady. Sock knitting and enterlac at the sametime now that would be burning the candle at both ends.
Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystery_Gyrl For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (09-30-2008)
Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I have heard good things about the Knitty Gritty tv series...but it doesn't play in our town. Darn.

I learned how to 'master stir-fry' from a demo at our State Fair about 15 years ago! The little Asian lady was selling woks...but she taught us the basic principles of stir-fry art in the meantime! I was so inspired, and encouraged at the same time! I never knew it was so simple and easy! I never forgot her teachings and principles.

Sometimes those demos are just the thing!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
HollyP
Working the Gusset

You have plenty of time to learn both!
I learned entrelac by doing the Danica scarf from Knitty. I just trusted the pattern and realized it really wasn't hard at all. I know you can do it, I've seen all the amazing items you have knit!

I second or third Silver sock classes! I also prefer the 2 circ method. Magic Loop and I have just recently worked out our troubles
Good luck!!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (09-30-2008)
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Good for you! I prefer two circulars myself. I actually took a sock class for two circs at my LYS last spring. Mine was top down, but learning Silver's toe up method would be cool, too!

Here's a few other links.
http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (10-01-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I learned how to do: entrelac ... by following the pattern for the Lady Elenanor (spelling?) scarf found in the book: Scarf Style

Easy.. I think that I might have even posted a photo of it here about a year ago?
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iwouldratherbeknitting For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (10-01-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I learned entralac doing the garterlac dishcloth. Once the basics are there, it's easy enough to switch to stockinette.

Socks - I prefer 2 cirs. There are several good on-line tuts.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (10-01-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Your goals...
"Yeah, back in Janurary...I opened my trap and made the statement:
MY 2008 KNITTING GOAL is: 1) learn to do entrelac, 2) learn to knit a sock."

Hi!

Those are GREAT goals, and very do-able considering the quality of your work (some of which I've seen in the photos you posted here!).

I haven't tried entrelac yet but there's a gorgeous shawl pattern and very clear instructions in Donna Kooler's "Encyclopedia of Knitting" that had me putting that on my goals list as soon as I saw it.

I read through the instructions and one thing I decided would make the whole process so much easier was to learn to knit backwards. Yes! Backwards! No turning the piece all the time, just knit the row backwards, and Amy (bless her!) has a wonderful video to show just how that's done. With some practice I know I could master it!

Socks...Well, don't I know how you feel about that! When I first approached sock making I just sat there with needles and yarn and froze like a rabbit in the headlights! Geez!

It IS rocket science! At least it is until you make your first sock and see how easy it is. There's a thrill like no other in turning the heel and actually seeing the cup shape form! It's almost mystical!

The book that was most helpful to me was "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd. She does her demonstration on double points but the basic information and pictures are wonderful!

I wanted to learn as many different ways to knit socks as I could so after the first pair on double points I tried a pair with magic loop. This works well if you've got really flexible cables (I love the ones in my Options set). Stiff cables are HORRIBLE to work with.

Then I tried working two at a time on two cable needles and it was OK, if a little cumbersome. I'll try two at a time on one long cable next and I think once I understand it that'll be the one for me.

Once you get the hang of basic sock construction, you might want to look at doing two at a time. I started learning that because, no matter how carefully I counted the rows (which is a pain!) on the first sock, the second one always came out either shorter or longer. Two at a time, on either one or two cables, eliminates all that counting and guesswork and you don't have "Mutt and Jeff" socks!

If you do get to the two at a time, I posted a Tip on handling two balls of yarn in sock knitting towards the end of the Knit Tips and Tricks thread. It might be helpful to you.

Good luck with your goals, and don't be surprised if you fall headlong into love with Socks! They're magical!

Ruthie
RuthieinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RuthieinMaryland For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (10-01-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

First, I just have to say, "Wow!" As is "wow, I've done something ArtLady hasn't done." :-D Of course that's ALL I've done, but still...

With your knitting skill, you'll be fine with the entrelac...it's just a matter of keeping your place, really. (And if you can figure how to knit backwards, that keeps you from all that turning on the purl rows!

I, too, used the Lady Eleanor pattern--it really clearly spells out what you're doing. I'm sure others do as well, but I appreciated the visuals that it offered.

As to socks, I'm totally sold on the two circular methods. I only know enough Magic Loop to have a fair concept of how it works...but it frustrates me, so I haven't really pursued it.

Socks are a BREEZE on two circulars. I got a bit confused on the gusset part (having a tendency to start picking up my stitches on the wrong side first and being all backwards...but that's easily overcome, and probably even easier for you since you have a much better understanding of how knitting works in general, than I do).

And if you do it on two circs, it's an easy step to doing two at once on two circs, thus eliminating Second Sock Syndrome!

Now...if only I could work up the gumption to try a sweater!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (10-01-2008)