Old 10-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
sweatergirl
Casting On

How much do you pay for yarn?
I am relatively new to knitting and want to make my first sweater. I found a pattern I want to use, which will use a novelty yarn i inherited for the collar and a bulky yarn for the body. i wanted to use a fuzzy yarn, like angora, and so I went to a LYS to check out what they have. The skiens run from $10-30 and generally have about 100 yds/skien. Since my pattern requires 930 yards of yarn, I'll need about 9 skiens and spend $100 or more on a sweater which may turn out awful or Barbie sized or elephant sized. I could buy an off-the-rack sweater which i know would fit and not have stitching mistakes cheaper! When I looked online at angora, the prices were still high. I realize there are cheaper yarns -- in polyester and such -- but if I'm going to spend a lot of time on it, i want it to be nice.

Anyway, do y'all spend this much on yarn? Would I be crazy to spend that kind of money?

I have some Christmas presents (hats and scarves) I want to make before I start on anything for myself, so I don't really need this yarn until after Christmas, but i like to look...
sweatergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
Yeah Angora is very costly. Most thing I have seen it used in/on is for accents like Santa's beard on Christmas stockings. If you go to Knit Picks they have wool/wool blends that are reasonably priced. I live on single income so Knit Pick fits into my budget. I will spend the money for good yarn but will not spend $100 on yarn to knit just one item. For me its all about the bang for the buck.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I have knit sweaters with angora and don't wear them often. They make me sneeze and itch from all the shedding that goes on. It's lovely soft yarn, but I like it better as an accent rather than the whole sweater.
I spend as little as I can and shop mainly at KnitPicks and Elann.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Maybe someday I'll be able to afford to spend that much on yarn and be brave enough to, but for now I try to keep my yarn purchases more in reason with my budget. I will spend $10-20 dollars on a single skein for a project on occasion, but not for an entire sweater.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Most people substitute the yarn called for in designer patterns for something similar, but more affordable. That can be from the LYS, an online store or even craft store acrylic.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I would think about substituting a similar gauge yarn that's cheaper but would wear well. If the pattern turns out that you love it, it may be worth saving the money for nicer yarn and making it again. But at least you would have a learning curve under your belt and the next time you make the same pattern you'll make less mistakes and it will be easier.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I would suggest doing what I call a "test knit" I find a pattern I like and buy the yarn in the right gauge , but cheaper, and test knit it. It helps me so I see if the pattern fits right, if i like the FO, etc. THEN I buy the expensive yarn to knit the pattern with.
I know it sounds like a lot of work to knit a whole sweter as a "test" but it really has saved me from buying yarn for a pattern that doesn't turn out.
If you have doubts on the "test knit" please reference my blog and the "GINOURMOUS SWEATER OF ENENDING DOOM"
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by sweatergirl View Post
I am relatively new to knitting and want to make my first sweater. I found a pattern I want to use, which will use a novelty yarn i inherited for the collar and a bulky yarn for the body. i wanted to use a fuzzy yarn, like angora, and so I went to a LYS to check out what they have. The skiens run from $10-30 and generally have about 100 yds/skien. Since my pattern requires 930 yards of yarn, I'll need about 9 skiens and spend $100 or more on a sweater which may turn out awful or Barbie sized or elephant sized. I could buy an off-the-rack sweater which i know would fit and not have stitching mistakes cheaper! When I looked online at angora, the prices were still high. I realize there are cheaper yarns -- in polyester and such -- but if I'm going to spend a lot of time on it, i want it to be nice.

Anyway, do y'all spend this much on yarn? Would I be crazy to spend that kind of money?

I have some Christmas presents (hats and scarves) I want to make before I start on anything for myself, so I don't really need this yarn until after Christmas, but i like to look...
Nope, I won't spend that amount of money on yarn. If you can afford it and want it, go for it. Right now that is simply beyond my means what with the way the economy is going. But, I'm not you - you know what your budget will stand. Just 'cause mine won't stand that, doesn't mean yours won't.

It really doesn't matter what anyone else would pay for it - it's a decision you have to make. JMHO.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
of troy
Turning the Heel

on average, a woman'(misses) medium sweater is going to require about 1000 yards to make. (some sweaters will be 900 something, some will be 1100.

Now with this in mind, shop.

there places like Knit Picks, Elans, Smileys, Webs, (and scores of other places) that you'll be able to buy 1000 yards of yarn for as little as $10--or $30, or $50.

(and some of these same places will have yarns that will end up costing you $90, $100, $130 for a sweater!)

there are always compromizes.

sometime you can find an angora blend at $3 for a 150 yard ball. (i did) but.. only in pastels.. (creamy cocoa color, or pale blue, or mauve, or cream..)

or you some times you can find the color you want (Peach) but not price!

This is why so many knitters have stashes... they find a yarn they like (fibers they like, colors they like, value they like) --and buy 1000 yards or so on speculation!

Another factor to consider:

Hand knit items are custom made clothing.

Couture.
and such clothing is NEVER CHEAP.

it might cost you $300 for an angora sweater.. but look in Barneys, or in Bergdoff's, or Saks, and an angora sweater is $1200--(or 4 times more!)

YOu might not usually shop Bergdoffs, or Saks, or look at the prices of the clothing feature say in the NYTImes magazine style section--or in Vogue, or other zines, .. but really a hand knit sweater is still a Value item!

You can compromise.. you can buy simpler yarns (10% angora Vs 50% angora) --or buy a color that is not your first choice.. or buy a cone, (use half, and sell the other half) and still end up with a wonderful garment.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Mike
Working the Gusset

I will pay about $20-$40 to spend a couple month's labor making a sweater.

I will not take part in the fleecing of fiber arts because they're labeled crafters.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote