Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Have you ever just felt panic?
I think I had my first panic attack.. not sure why. I just felt overwhelmed all of a sudden and terrified that since my life feels pretty darned wonderful right now that something will change to ruin it. I feel like a complete idiot and whiner for saying this. Has anyone else ever felt this? Am I just being stupid?

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Of course you're not! I think it's natural for us to want things to stay perfect.

I remember a few years ago, when I was driving my daughter to a soccer tournament in New Orleans, I truly did have a panic attack. I was following another dad, and we had left kind of late for what was going to be a six-hour drive. I do not drive well at night, and I'm usually in bed by 10pm or so. We drove until about 1am, and it freaked me out so badly I thought I was going to have to get my dh to come get us.

By the next day, I was fine.

Panic attacks can sneak up on you when you least expect them. Just realize that it's very normal.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (10-19-2008), rdy4fn24 (10-21-2008)
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

I feel your pain. I had my first one about 8 years ago. That one was related to an incident in DD's classroom with another student.
About 9 months after that one, I had one that I could not control. I, like you was at a good point (we had a nice vacation, everyone was healthy, etc) I HAD to go to the Dr. I felt embarrassed to some degree (wasn't I the one that is supposed to take care of people) He quickly reassured me, that I was ok and it was a reaction from all of those years of taking care of people, that had taken a toll on me. My DD is disabled (I know of your situation) and DS is 3 years older than her. He said I had used up all of my reserves and needed to replenish. I took medication for about a year and was back to my normal self. I have had a few minor ones since then, but have been ok for the most part. You are a great Mom and you are definitely not a whiner.
Angel
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
threesmom
Turning the Heel

You are not being stupid! They can be scary! I have panic attacks ... lots. Sometimes they are worse than others, sometimes it is just this sense of dread. I notice if I'm stressed, I pick something to worry about - normally something nonexistent - and at some point just get the full boat, heart pounding, must be dying, feeling unreal thing. I think sometimes it has to do with hormones, or how much sleep I've had. I've had them for years, so I've thought about this ... a lot - they were truly awful after my son was born - I honestly thought I was going insane. Now they just hang out with the moodiness.

They might shake you up, but random attacks are fairly normal. And if it makes you feel any better, I sometimes stress about the exact same thing that you mentioned - that things are TOO good. I worry about things that might upset it - usually because I feel a little guilty about how much I've been lucky enough to have. I try to focus on the present, breathe, and let go of the worry - usually it works.

Try not to worry too much about it - chances are it was an isolated event

Working on ... Central Park Hoodie, socks!, another baby blanket ...
Recent FOs ...baby blankets, v-neck sweater!, Nakiska headband, socks

I'm justbeth on

threesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threesmom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
rdy4fn24
Casting On

First i want to say your not alone and definitely not stupid for feeling this way but i totally know what you mean. i am dealing with panic attacks now, actually had them for long time but worse past few months and i hate them. i feel like i'm going crazy and wish i could just have a live in dr so i can consistently be reminded that i'm ok. it feels so real to me that it's more then just panic. i just have to keep deep breathing and i do whatever i can to get my mind off them. I take meds but its more then just that, it is important to self talk and get my mind off things by talking, knitting, reading, tv, whatever it takes at the moment. hope that helps.

Feel free to check out my art at
http://rdy4fn24.deviantart.com/

To the best website on the web...

Thank you for all your help!
rdy4fn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdy4fn24 For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (10-19-2008)
Old 10-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Nope, you're not being stupid.

Maybe I can make you feel better....I've fought panic attacks for almost 40 years. They started when I was 14 and I'm 53 now. Of course, no one had any clue as to what the heck was going on with me. I was given anti-seizure meds, meds that made it 10 times worse than it already was (which was pretty darned horrible!), and eventually just told to tough it out. Sometimes I think about those times (I've been on meds for years, and am soooooooo much better. I still may have one occasionally, but not very often) and marvel at the fact that I'm still here and functioning. I thank God that I never turned to drugs or alcohol to deal with the problems...because heaven knows, if it would have made me feel better, or even to forget, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

So, if I can deal with this for as long as I have, and for a very good part of it with nobody knowing what a panic attack even was, let alone how to treat them, I know you can handle anything....'cause I'm a real wimp. And, I'm an anamoly - mine started earlier than is typical for the onset and all that jazz. There's no reason to think that yours is anymore than an isolated incident, but even if it wasn't, doctors know how to treat it now.

Cut yourself some slack....you're great! Your brain chemistry just threw you a curveball, that's all.

Take care!!!!!!
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miccisue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Yes. I know what you mean about when everything is going well and you can't believe it will last....

But I get them when I am in a crowded place - like yesterday at Costco. There were so many people milling about I just left my basket (with 2 items in it) and pretty much ran out the door. I felt totally overwhelmed and wierded out and had to get out of there.
I think we all feel them to some degree at various times of our lives for various reasons.

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doublereeder2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
My wedding is in two weeks, and so far in the last week, I have had 2 of them...I must totally commisserate!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (10-20-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
To be perfectly honest, no.

I've never felt panic. I am one of those weird people (probably a mental defect) that has never experienced the sensation of fear at all. The only thing that scares me is giant green and yellow spotted space frogs, and so far I haven't run across any.

Not bragging or making light of such an experience, but I've honestly just never been there that I can recall (maybe as a small child or something).

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (10-21-2008)
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
twoxover
1st Leg of the Journey

oh gosh, have i had panic attacks! however, mine were not out of the blue...but directly related to sleep (or lack of). i was convinced that if i went to sleep, i was not waking up! here's the thing...i went for a sleep study. a severe case of apnea (where you stop breathing while you sleep) is considered 30-40 times an hour. I averaged over 98 an hour! i now use a cpap machine and besides getting better sleep <g>...no more panic attacks.

Betsey
twoxover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoxover For This Useful Post:
knitpurlgurl (10-21-2008)