Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
piratemel
Casting On

Can anyone help?
Hello, my name's Mel and I'm new here. I'm currently knitting a cardigan which has a cable design in it. But I've come unstuck on something and I'd be very greatful if you could help?
The pattern goes
1st Row k1, p1 8 times. p2, k7, p2, k1, p2, k7, p2, k1. p1, k1 8 times.
2nd Row P1, k1 8 times. P1, RT, p7, c5, p7, RT. k1, p1 8 times.
3rd and every following WS row P1, K1 8 times. Work stitches as they appear on needle. P1. K1, p1 8 times.

Perhaps I'm being really silly, but what does 'work stitches as they appear on needle' mean? I'm rather confused, please help, lol x x
piratemel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
evona
Working the Gusset

As you face your work you purl all the purl stitches (the ones that look like a bump) and knit all the knit stitches (the ones that look like a v). One thing to note is that every knit stitch creates a purl stitch in reverse and vice versa for a purl stitch.

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evona For This Useful Post:
piratemel (10-20-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
piratemel
Casting On

Oh ok, I see. But what about the parts where I have cabled and right twisted? What do I do there?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
But what about the parts where I have cabled and right twisted?
Those stitches are also either facing you as knits or purls. Probably purls for the cables themselves and knits on the sides, but I could be wrong about that. Sometimes it is hard to tell by looking at them on the side facing you. Try turning the piece around and looking at the other side. What did you do to that stitch on that side? Knit it? Purl it? If you can tell, turn back to the side you are supposed to be working on and do the opposite. Most of the time you'll be able to tell on the facing side to start with, but if you can't "read" it, turn and look at the other side.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
piratemel
Casting On

Ah.... So when it asks me to RT( Knit 2 together then knit the first stitch again) Am I purling them on the next row? Also do I still cable the cable stitches if that makes sense, or just knit and purl those stitches? Sorry for being a pain
Old 10-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
So when it asks me to RT( Knit 2 together then knit the first stitch again) Am I purling them on the next row?
Right. Even though weird they are all knits (knit2tog, then knit.... so on the next row you would purl them.

Quote:
Also do I still cable the cable stitches if that makes sense, or just knit and purl those stitches?
Do you cable the cable stitches? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. (But you are not being a pain, communication is just hard when talking about knitting, especially by computer :-) ) When you say "cable" the "cable stitches", I think of the doing of the actual cable as the twist row. The stitches that make up the cable are often stockinette on the right side of a piece of knitting. Cables are capable of doing a lot of things and some I probably haven't run across, but usually on the row after the twist you would not be doing any more twisting, but just working those stitches the opposite of what you want them to turn out to be on the front. If it is a standard type stockinette cable you would purl the stitches in the cable. If it happens to be seed stitch or whatever, you would still do whatever is the opposite of what you want on the front.

If this helps even a little bit, but it still isn't clear, ask more. We're pretty patient here.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
piratemel
Casting On

Thank you so much for helping. I think I've got the idea, I always seem to throw myself in the deep end, lol. Thanks again
Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
piratemel
Casting On

Hello, me again. Arggghhhh! I'm so confused. I'm beginning to wish I'd never started this which is a shame, because I've done the back piece fine which was in double moss stitch. I'm now attempting to make the left front piece, and this is what I have done so far.
With 3.75 mm needles cast on 56 stitches. Continue in pattern as follows:
1st row(WS) (K1, P1) 8 times, p2, k7, p2, k1, p2, k7, p2, k1. (p1, k1) 8 times.
2nd row(p1, k1) 8 times, p1, RT, P7, C5, P7, RT, (K1, P1) 8 times.

Then I come unstuck on this next row.
3rd row and every following WS row (P1, KI) 8 times. Work sts as they appear on needle. P1, (k1, p1) 8 times.

I don't know whether I have to RT on this row or not still. It explains RT as 'k2tog, leaving stitches on left hand needle; insert right hand needle from the front between two sts just knitted tog, and k first st again, then slip both sts off needle tog.' And if I am doing this should I be purling them instead? It says nothing about purling them?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
piratemel
Casting On

Continued
Also where it asks me to c5 on row 2, am I cabling on row 3? It explains c5 as 'slip next 3 sts on to cn and hold at back of work, k2, then slip last st from cn back on left needle and p this stitch, then k2 from cn.'
I'm so confused and would be soooooooo greatfull if anyone could help?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You only do the twist on the RS row. Row 3 and the other WS rows will not have the twist. You would purl the twist sts on the WS. You do not c5 on row 3, it's done on row 2*, and you would purl the sts that were knit, and knit the single purl st.
Twist and cable sts are not done on every row, just on RS rows and not all of them. Just do each row as it's written and don't try to put in things that aren't written out. Cable and twist patterns are like ribbing except for the rows where you do the cross over sts.

* fixed a typo; wrote row 3 instead of row 2

Last edited by suzeeq : 10-21-2008 at 02:13 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
piratemel (10-21-2008)