Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
KazooKnits
Ribbing the Cuff

Casting On Mid Pattern
Following my last question here I received a fantastic answer explaining a perfect technique I'd never used before. I'm hoping to gain another "perfect technique" for another stubborn question.

I'm knitting the back of a sweater and I need to add stitches to expand for the back of the sleeves. The directions tell me to cast on 5 stitches at the beginning of the next 16 rows. I'm knitting in St st so adding the stitches to the RS (knit row) was simple. I added the stitches to the P row but am having problems. The stitches P just fine but I end up with a long strand of yarn between the stitches and my work when I finish purling the added stitches. Even if I just keep on knitting the main body of the sweater there is an awkward mess of yarn between the main body and the added stitches.

I've attempted a couple of different cast on methods, but nothing works. Will the mess of loose yarn work itself out or am I doing something wrong that can be adjusted to work more effectively?

Thanks again!
KazooKnits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I'd use a knitted cast on or a cable cast on. Did you try one of those?

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
KazooKnits
Ribbing the Cuff

I tried both with no success. I still end up with a long piece of yarn between the work and the added stitches.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
cam90066
Working the Gusset

With either the knit or cable CO you immediately work them after adding them so there shouldn't be any 'strand' between the newly added sts and your existing ones. (They should just appear to be a continuation of that row.) Once you CO the 5 you are then working back across that row, be it K or P.

If a P row, you CO 5, P those 5 new sts and then P the rest of the row. Assuming the newly CO sts are done properly...they should be rather snug on the ndl...there shouldn't be a gap.

|---PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP----->
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
KazooKnits
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay! My Mom said that I should cast on the stitches but not K or P them until the next time around. The pattern says cast on at the beginning of the row. Do I cast them on then not K or P until the next time around? Unforuntately regardless of the cast on type I'm still getting the strand in the middle.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Do I cast them on then not K or P until the next time around?
You have to work them on the same row you added them in order to get to the existing sts of that same row.

----PPPPPPP(P1)(P2)(P3)(P4)(P5)--->

As depicted here, and in my prev post, the 5 new sts are now at the working end of your ndl. In order to get to the old Ps (red)...the ones that were there before you CO... you have to work P5, P4, etc to reach them. (Your working yarn (to your skein) is attached to P5.) You work them in the reverse order you put them on your ndl.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
You have to work them on the same row you added them in order to get to the existing sts of that same row.
Bingo!

I had a similar problem the first time I had to cast on stitches in a row. I cast them on but didn't work them and it resulted in the same issue you're having here. Cast them on and then work them immediately, and they'll look just like the rest of that row.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
outdoordrea (10-24-2008)