Old 10-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
bornagainknitter
Casting On

Teaching a child to knit
Hi everyone,

Has anyone taught their children to knit and if so, how did you do it? Is it better to use big needles and chunky yarn, or is smaller better? Do you show them or do you help them from behind? Is there a better way to teach knitting or is it as individual as all things related to learning?

My 8 1/2 year old is really anxious to learn so it seems a great time to teach her.

Also, can anyone recommend an easy project for a beginnner other than the usual scarf? Thanks in advance,

Leann
bornagainknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Haven't read thru these but some existing threads that might interest you:

HELP - Teaching a child to knit??

What age to teach child to knit?

If you knitted as a child....question
Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
teachermom
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been working with my son and teaching him how to knit... I found it better to sit on the couch - I sat behind him and he sat between my knees - that way I could put my arms around and in front and show/guide him as I was teaching him. I also showed him the videos from this site and from Cyberseams: http://cyberseams.com/how_to_cyberse...0and%20methods

I actually started him with knitting swatches - in garter stitch. The other day I showed him purl. His first project that he wants to do is a scarf.

I have seen on this site in on other threads that other knitters have recommended dish cloths as a great way to try different stitchs, patterns, etc.. when learning to knit.

Happy knitting....

FO's: garterstitch scarf, dropped stitch cable fingerless mittens, socks for Christmas, and 6 baby hats, cabled toddler hat, hat for mom, MIL socks

My blog: http://knitquiltmom.blogspot.com/

I'm knitquiltmom on Ravelry... I'm slowly loading my projects. I also have several patterns that are being offered as free downloads.
teachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
bornagainknitter
Casting On

Oh, thank you! I never stop to think of searching for previous threads before asking my questions! I really need to remember this in the future. I appreciate your suggestion very mcuh.

Leann
Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
bornagainknitter
Casting On

Yes, I was thinking it would be easiest just as you have described - from behind. And the dishcloths are a great idea as the kids are not allowed to wear scarves to school here. How old is your son? What is hardest about learning to knit from his perspective? Is it a challenge as far as fine motor skills go?

It's great to know others are passing this on to their kids though! I have actually thought of starting a knitting group at my dd's school as her friends are all interested too.

Thanks for the support, Leann
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
kaidyddd
1st Leg of the Journey

I worked with some first -third graders after school. We used sz. 8, shorter bamboo needles (not a slippery or heavy as metal) and regular worsted wt. yarn. It worked well.
kaidyddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I taught my 6 yo daughter recently- I sat her in my lap and taught her from behind. She's doing a ribbed headband at the moment.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I've taought my daughter to knit and we started out with her on my lap (in fact now my 3 year old and 1 year old like to sit on my lap and hold the needles).

Now she does it on her own, but she only knows the knit stitch... she's make a smaller verision of the bib on here (it's for her baby dolls)... she's almost ready to cast off and make the long part that goes around the neck... I'll help her ad the button hole when she gets there...

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Linigirl
Casting On

What has worked for me is to use really big needles and chunky yarn. I would cast on a few stiches and then let my daughter do the knitting. I think they pick it up alot quicker that way.
Linigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
SweetPea99
Casting On

I taught my 8 year old daughter to knit with her sitting on my lap. She is now knitting a Little Red Riding Hood Pillow and is doing awesome, still having some issues with the purling. We started out using size 10 needles and just normal scrap yarn I had left over from Plastic Canvas knitting.