Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Ri99
Casting On

Help with a two needled knitting pattern?
EDIT: The title was supposed to say two needled MITTEN pattern, not knitting lol.

I need help, I'm stuck lol. Here is the pattern:

Instructions
Cuff
With larger needles, CO 28 sts.
Row 1: Sl 1, *k1, p1; rep from *, end k1
Rep this row until cuff is about l" long.
Change to smaller needles and rep this row 1" more.

Hand
Row 1 (RS): Sl 1, k across.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: Rep Row 1.
Row 4: Change back to larger needles and P.
Row 5: (Sl 1, k1) 5 times, p1, knit into front and back of next st twice, p1, (sl 1, k1) 7 times - 30 sts. This is the beginning of the thumb gusset.
Row 6: P14, k1, p4, k1, p10.
Row 7: (Sl 1, k1) 5 times, p1, knit into front and back of next st, sl 1, k1, knit into front and back of next st, p1, (sl 1, k1) 7 times - 32 sts.
Row 8: P14, k1, p6, k1, p10.
Rep these last 2 rows twice more, keeping to sl 1, k1 pattern - 36 sts.

Next Row: Purl.
Next Row: Follow S1, K1 pattern to and including first p st. Work in pattern across next 8 sts of thumb. Turn. CO 1 st and p across - 9 sts. Turn. CO 1 st - 10 sts.
Work in pattern on these 10 sts to 2 rows less than required thumb length.

K2tog across row.
P2tog on next row.

Cut yarn leaving a tail long enough to run through last sts on needle and sew up seam in thumb. Join yarn by weaving through a few sts on back of mitten so the working end of yarn is next to the thumb section on the right hand side of the mitten.

Pick up 4 sts on the base of the thumb, then continue in pattern across the row.
Next Row: P across to the first 2 of the 4 picked up sts, k2tog twice, continue across row. You should now be back to 28 sts.
Continue in pattern until slightly shorter than middle finger.

Decrease (RS): Sl 1, sl 1, k1, psso, (sl 1, k1) 8 times, k2tog, k1, sl 1, sl 1, k1, psso, (sl 1, k1) 8 times, k2tog, k1 - 24 sts.
Next row: Purl.
Decrease: Sl 1, sl 1, k1, psso, (sl 1, k1) 6 times, k2tog, k1, sl 1, sl 1, k1, psso, (sl 1, k1) 6 times, k2tog, k1 - 20 sts.
Next row: Purl.
Decrease: Sl 1, sl 1, k1, psso, (sl 1, k1) 4 times, k2tog, k1, sl 1, sl 1, k1, psso, (sl 1, k1) 4 times, k2tog, k1 - 16 sts.

BO. Seam. Weave in ends on WS.

I'm having issues with the bold part. Can someone please just tell me in plain English what I am supposed to be doing?

Last edited by Ri99 : 10-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Ri99 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I haven't made these so I'm not 100% sure, but here are my thoughts.
Quote:
Follow S1, K1 pattern to and including first p st.
You have been repeating rows 7 and 8 and would be on a row 7 if you were continuing that sequence. So I think the S1, K1 pattern to the first P st would be this first part of row 7:
Quote:
(Sl 1, k1) 5 times, p1,
That would be up to and including the P.

Then you have:
Quote:
Work in pattern across next 8 sts of thumb.
You have been doing an increase (knit into the front and back of the next stitch, in row 7). Don't do that but instead do the pattern, which I would take to be Sl 1, K1. So you would Sl 1, K1 across the next 8 sts. Then turn the work so that you are ready to work in the other direction (switch the needles in your hands). Now do a knitted cast on in the first stitch on the end of the left needle, pulling the loop up and putting it back on the left needle, thereby increasing one stitch, then purl across that new stitch and the other 8 that you are calling the thumb stitches. Turn the work again to work in the other direcion and use the first stitch on the left needle again to knit into and add another stitch. You now have 10 sts for the thumb.

Then it says:
Quote:
Work in pattern on these 10 sts to 2 rows less than required thumb length.
So you are going to work back and forth on just these 10 stitches until you are 2 rows less than the length you need for the thumb. I'm guessing that the pattern you would use for the thumb is the Sl 1, K1 across the right side rows and to purl the WS rows.

Does that seem to make sense?