Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
help with fixing a hole in an afghan....
I crocheted it a few years ago for a couple of friends, they wore a hole (not just a small one, but a BIG one) in it from use (YAY!) and it's just about in the center of the blanket.... i used the easy ripple afghan pattern from Susan B in KC...

Is there a way i could fix it without having to frog? The couple i gave it to has washed it repeatedly so the yarn is relaxed to the point I couldn't just go and take some yarn of hte same color (i kept the extra yarn from the afghan) without it being noticeable....

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Restoration or Simply Usable
What do you want to achieve with the repairs? Do you want to do a Restoration, perserving the used look and feel of the whole afghan; or do you just want to make it usable again.

For an heirloom restoration, you could "age" the unused yarn you have and then use it to repair the afghan. Crochet a swatch that matches the size, gage, and pattern of the original blanket and launder until it becomes a close match to the piece being repaired. Then frog the swatch and use it to repair the hole. (not my choice, but it is what I think would be similar to art restoration reconstruction methods.)

I would just frog the rows with the damage and then replace the full rows. Follow the orignial guage (& hook size) and pattern you used. Then after washing it should match the relaxed original.

Oh, and show them how to bind off a snag to prevent it from unraveling. I suspect that may have contributed to the size of the hole; especially if they simply tried to trim the loose fibers.

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
LilHuskiesFootBallMom (10-29-2008)