Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Pattern Help!
I've just been crocheting for about 2 months...so I have much to learn!

I'm starting the Noah's Ark Blanket out of Crochet? May 2008 and I don't understand the pattern!

Row 1 ch 115, 2 dc in 4th ch from hook(first 3 chs count as first dc), *dc in each of next 3 chs, I understand up to this point.
[dc dec in next 3 chs] twice, dc in each of next 3 chs**, 3dc in each of next 2 chs, rep from * across, ending last rep at **, 3 dc in last ch, turn.

I don't understand the part in bold...I've watched the nexstitch videos and youtube videos on the dc dec, but it seems like it only involves 2 stitches...what am I missing?

Can someone walk me through this row? I know the problem is on my end!
Thanks,
Merry

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
DC DEC is a double crochet decrease meaning you do a double crochet which will be 2 stitches but instead of a single crochet you will do a double crochet.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittinMitchie For This Useful Post:
merryknitter (10-21-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

Merry, Does the pattern give instructions for the dc decrease somewhere at the beginning?

This is the one I use over 3 stitches in my favorite ripple pattern:

*yo, insert hook through next stitch, yo and pull loop through stitch, yo and pull through first 2 loops on hook; repeat from * twice. YO and pull through remaining 4 loops on hook.
PamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Stitch Guide
This is what it says in the stitch guide.
(YO, insert hook, yo, draw loop through, draw through 2 lps on hook) in each of the sts indicated, yo, draw through all lps on hook.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

So that's the same decrease as in my ripple pattern--just put a little differently. Does it make sense? Let me know if it would help to expand a bit more on it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
MGM
Turning the Heel

I would be happy to do a video on this exact thing, if you think that would be helpful. I'll put it on my list, but will do it in the next day or two if you would like to see it soon.

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

Good idea, MGM. I've just been looking on You Tube, and the closest I could find only does a decrease over 2 stitches in the middle of her row (ignore the one she does at the beginning of the row), while it appears you are doing your decrease over 3 stitches.

This should still help, Merry. She does the (YO, insert hook, yo, draw loop through, draw through 2 lps on hook) twice, then does a yo and pulls through all THREE loops left on the hook. You would continue on in one more stitch, then at the end yo and pull through all FOUR loops left on the hook.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwqTkbx4xI
Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

Merry, it looks like you do this decrease twice. So those 6 chains will be 2 dc when you finish. Right, MGM?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Thanks!
Thanks Mary and Pam...that's the youtube video that I watched, Pam. I am not having trouble actually doing the dec...my confusion is when it says in next 3 chs twice!

I seem to be only using 2 stitches per dec...does that make sense?

Would you agree with me that the Youtube video is only doing the dec in 2 stitches...that's what is not making sense to me on the above instructions.

Unless I do what Pam said to do and yo, insert my hook in the 3rd stitch...then would I do all that twice still?
Thanks,
Merry
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

Yes, that's how I read the instructions your pattern gave--you do the decrease over 3 stitches. So you would continue doing what the woman does on You Tube with one more stitch. That will give you one more loop on your hook to pull through at the end of the decrease. You will have 4 loops on your hook, while she only has 3. At that point you have gone from 3 stitches down to 1. My afghan pattern does a 3 stitch decrease exactly like this. It just depends on how many stitches need to be decreased.

And it does appear that you do this decrease twice, side by side. You are doing a ripple--notice that you also do 3 dc in 2 chains, so you should end up with the same number of stitches at the end of the row. You are increasing at the top of your ripple--2 stitches become 6--and decreasing at the bottom--6 stitches become 2. You continue to do this across the row.

After you finish this first row, it will become much easier to see. The foundation row is always the hardest!

Keep us posted!
The Following User Says Thank You to PamJ For This Useful Post: