Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #31
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,890 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Knit4Fun View Post
I've always wanted to try doing a Log Cabin project too...I'm not sure how ambitious my class schedule will be (going back to school online in January - 8 credits...gulp!) but schedule permitting, I'd love to join!

This will probably be my first Log Cabin project, though...it's a great way to test out whether you enjoy doing Log Cabin projects:

http://www.knitlist.com/99gift/log-cabin-cloth.htm

THANKS for the link! What a great little pattern!!!

Remember, if you join us for the beginning of the Seamless Blanket KAL...you aren't expected to finish. It may take some of us months to finish. Some of us might run out of yarn if we're using stash yarn. And some folks might work on it for a while, put it aside and knit something else, and then come back to the LOG CABIN after that, alternating projects. The garter stitch can be pretty darn boring, easy but boring. The beauty of the LOG CABIN is that it is so easy that you won't forget how to do it or where you were at. You could work one log at a time...then set it aside for something else...then work another log when you feel like it, or have time for it.

Anyways, we're here for you if your schedule allows!

Artlady at Rav

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #32
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
THANKS for the link! What a great little pattern!!!

Remember, if you join us for the beginning of the Seamless Blanket KAL...you aren't expected to finish. It may take some of us months to finish. Some of us might run out of yarn if we're using stash yarn. And some folks might work on it for a while, put it aside and knit something else, and then come back to the LOG CABIN after that, alternating projects. The garter stitch can be pretty darn boring, easy but boring. The beauty of the LOG CABIN is that it is so easy that you won't forget how to do it or where you were at. You could work one log at a time...then set it aside for something else...then work another log when you feel like it, or have time for it.

Anyways, we're here for you if your schedule allows!
Okay, so I started on the Log Cabin Dishcloth yesterday...I had just finished a scarf with a lace pattern so I wanted to work on something new but not brain bending either...and I think I may be addicted... :-)

Schedule permitting, I'm in! I also LOVE the idea of just keeping a Log Cabin blanket going to add on the assorted scraps of yarn that remain from other projects - what an awesome idea.

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #33
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm so in!
Ok, I'm in. I have a project in waiting (Log cabin) that has now been bumped forward using Evil-yarn, and second hand yarn I've been meaning to frog and maybe some bought yarn, we'll see how things go. And I might have an Instaria blanket to pull off as well, But I'll definatly have to buy more Yarn to compleat.
I have a question though, does the stashgan have to be seemless? Coz I have a blanket (BTW what's the difference between an afgan and a blanket?) that is strips, another that is patches, and a bearskin rug that almost counts as a blanket that are on the go now and are all stashie? can I count them even though they have been started and aren't seemless?
FV
Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #34
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Firey Vixxen View Post
Ok, I'm in. I have a project in waiting (Log cabin) that has now been bumped forward using Evil-yarn, and second hand yarn I've been meaning to frog and maybe some bought yarn, we'll see how things go. And I might have an Instaria blanket to pull off as well, But I'll definatly have to buy more Yarn to compleat.
I have a question though, does the stashgan have to be seemless? Coz I have a blanket (BTW what's the difference between an afgan and a blanket?) that is strips, another that is patches, and a bearskin rug that almost counts as a blanket that are on the go now and are all stashie? can I count them even though they have been started and aren't seemless?
FV
You can do any style stashghan that you want! Most of us are into the 'seamless' style...but of course, please join us no matter what!

I don't the technical difference between afghans and blankets!
They all keep us warm!

By the term "stashghan" we mean that we're gonna try to use yarn that is laying around. No particular new yarn is sought out. But heck, some of us can buy new yarn if we want! There will be great yarn sales in December and January no doubt!

By the term "lapghan" we mean that it is smaller than usual. Just to cover the lap and legs. Older folks in wheelchairs really love lapghans.

I've coined other terms: "babyghan"...for cribs; "manghan" for guys...and "bedghan" sized for a bed spread! The "manghan" could vary in size, but the color scheme would suit the masculine taste!

"Afghans" typically sit on the top of our sofas, and covers us up when we nap on the sofa, or are watching tv on a cold night!

Maybe the term "afghan" implies that the "blanket" is knitted or crocheted. Whereas the term "blanket" by itself could be from the Sears catalog or Macy's bed-and-bath department.

Hugs,

Artlady

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Firey Vixxen (12-07-2008)
Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #35
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I've tried knitting with chenille, but I can't control the worming. It drives me nuts! I gave up on chenille. Maybe there's a trick to it that I don't know.
I've learned that when knitting with chenille, I have to use larger needles, because I'm usually a tight knitter. And I force myself to relax my hands as well, so I'm intentionally knitting loose. If I keep all the stitches loose, they stay put without worming. But, my hands and wrists hurt like heck when I knit with chenille, so I can only do a few rows at a time. I imagine it will go quickly though, since the yarn is so thick.

I made a baby blanket and hat with Velvetspun yarn, which is similar to Chenille Thick & Quick. They were so soft and beautiful when they were finished.

I also made a scarf with Velvetspun yarn, and it didn't have any worming.

I've coined other terms: "babyghan"...for cribs; "manghan" for guys...and "bedghan" sized for a bed spread!
Love the term "manghan".
Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #36
brandesdm
Casting On

I am interested in joining, but I have 2 concerns. One, the back of the log cabin type blanket looks bad to me.
Also, is there a way to slip the first stitch to make it easier to pick up stitches? thank you
Old 12-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #37
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I have a bunch of Red Heart Super Saver that I need to do SOMETHING with and this sounds like a great plan. I've heard great things about the Log Cabin, but I don't really know that much about it.

What is the difference between the "regular" and "Moderne" designs?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #38
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I have a bunch of Red Heart Super Saver that I need to do SOMETHING with and this sounds like a great plan. I've heard great things about the Log Cabin, but I don't really know that much about it.

Here's a few links that say it best.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-cabin-blanket
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...w-to-log-cabin

The variations are endless especially with regular log cabin.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (12-12-2008)
Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #39
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post

Jan provided good links! Thanks Jan!

To put it in a nutshell, here is my 'take' about the diff:

The Moderne has an art deco look. It is the arrangement of the blocks. They are assymetrical and the first block is off-center.

The regular log cabin blocks go round and round, rather symmetrically, from the very center block outward. You can see one of them in Jan's 2nd link provided.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (12-12-2008)
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #40
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Oh, I see it now. I didn't realize the blocks were arranged differently -- I guess I thought the Moderne WAS the Log Cabin design and the other was else.

Thanks!
Closed Thread