Old 11-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Nourishma
Casting On

revising a pattern
So this is my second knitting project, and I may be getting too ambitious, but I am making a pair of 12 month size longies, the pattern is a free one entitled baby bell bottoms....
The way it is supposed to be knit is the two legs are to be done in the flat and held on a stitch holder and then both combined on a circular needle for the crotch hips and waist....
I wanted to revise the pattern such that there is a stripe of a different color up the sides of the pants (like they do on exercise pants) and I was going to within that strip do a column of iverness diamond stitch....
my questions are:
1. If as I am decreasing, I make sure to always do the strip in the middle of the row, no matter how many stitches, will it end up straight?
2. I've seen a lot of horizontal stripes in knitting, but I can't think of seeing a vertical stripe like I'm thinking about doing...is it not really possible to do?
3. I was trying to figure out a way I could just keep the balls of yarn attatched instead of cutting and starting new every row....how ridiculous would it be to have the main color running along the back of the stripe (the stripe will be 17 inches thick)? or is there an easier way?

I don't know if any of this even makes sense, but if it does any advice would be appreciated.
Nourishma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
2. I've seen a lot of horizontal stripes in knitting, but I can't think of seeing a vertical stripe like I'm thinking about doing...is it not really possible to do?
Very easy. You'll just wrap the old/new color each time you make a color change. No need for cutting, etc. (Drop one color, pick up the other, etc.) Check out the vid for Intarsia.

ETA: perhaps some visual help in these threads:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...hlight=stripes

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...light=intarsia

Quote:
(the stripe will be 17 inches thick)? or is there an easier way?
The stripe will 17" thick? Do you mean 17 stitches? What do you mean by 'thick'?

Yarn isn't carried when doing Intarsia.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Nourishma
Casting On

sorry, I meant 17 stitches wide.....
Nourishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Okay. If you looked at the links, you'll note that in best case scenario one color stops, another starts, and then back to the orig color. So long as you wrap each color chg you'll prevent holes and have a nice, clean transition. This entails using diff skeins/bobbins for each section but gives really nice results.

You could option to strand the main color across the back of the stripe (discussed in the second link above) so long as you're aware of how the process is done to achieve the best effect (you don't want long floats across the back). This will cause this area to be double knit so it'll be twice as thick and perhaps stiffer.