Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Fast, Easy Blanket pattern?
For the past couple of years, I've knit items for my friends for Christmas. I enjoy giving homemade gifts. This year, for my three best friends, I am not planning to knit for them - I'm making actual quilts. The twins' boyfriends and maybe Justin, though, I need something quicker and cheaper. So I was thinking, if I got some of the less expensive acrylic, and found a good pattern for an afghan or blanket, maybe knit on broomstick needles, maybe with two or three strands held together... I might be able to knit three up quick enough in between quilts, or late at night when I can't use the sewing machine because some crazy people want to sleep then or something.
I've looked briefly at KPC but if someone knows of a pattern that might fit what I'm looking for, it would be a lot faster and easier. They should be maybe 5'x6' or so (I might fudge and make it smaller), and I don't have experience knitting on broomstick needles (though I have a pair just waiting to be used!) so I need a pattern to be able to see what will look good in such a loose guage.

Thanks in advance!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

Hmm, I don't know of a *fast* knit afghan (I'm a slow afghan knitter!) but I do know crocheting an afghan (for me)is WAAAAY faster-I used a q hook and very simple pattern (using 2 strands held together) to whip up a good-sized afghan in about a week (seems like it took 4 days of evening crocheting). It was for my Dsis and dbil-they love it and she was so impressed (I was inside because it was sooooo easy!).

If you're interested, I'll give you the pattern. I don't know if you crochet though, so I'm sorry if that's no help!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
There are several afghans on large needles on the Lion Brand site.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I haven't made this but it looks easy and quick and it's pretty. There are lots of quick afghans on that site as well.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Thanks!
Hilary - I can crochet... but my crochet skills are far inferior to my knit skills, so a crocheted project takes twice as long as a knit one for me.
The lion brand one looks like what I'm looking for. I'll look quick and see what others they have, but probably just make that one.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote