Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
scout52
Working the Gusset

Life gets in the way of knitting
Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of your knitting? I have been trying let me empahsize TRYING to finish my sister skirt for Christmas but I have been working SOOOO much that I have barely any time to work on it. And then I miscalculated the yarn requirements because I forgot that I went a size up and ran out of yarn

Thank goodness I was able to find another skien in the MATCHING dyelot on ravelry but I am never going to finish my Christmas list at this rate. I'm normally a fast knitter but I need more than 15 minutes a night to knit.

And to top it off I missed 3 weekends a row with my knitting group because of work. Those women seriously keep me sane. I love those group of women. I never have had much luck making women friends and now I finally have. So I guess the positive is it makes me appreciate them more when I miss them.

My family really loves my knitted gifts and requested things in JULY!! They really just asked ONLY KNITTED GIFTS FOR Christmas. Are they the best or what? Now I want to deliver but I guess it will have to be after.

Thanks for letting me rant.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scout52 For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (11-05-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
evona
Working the Gusset

I seriously know what you mean! I really couldn't knit for months because of obligations of all sorts. Now I'm back to knitting for Christmas, but only small things or I'll never get them done. I still think I'll have to get most of them out after Christmas

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evona For This Useful Post:
scout52 (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Dianeadae
Ribbing the Cuff

I hear ya, sister!....it's also good to have a knitting forum online, where we can rant and be understood for our knitting passions.

I got up at 5AM today just to spend an hour fixing up 4 rows of a scarf I was too tired to look at last night.

Can you find those in-between minutes here and there, waiting in lines?
Leave the complex projects, like that skirt, for quiet times, and take easy things along with you?.....scarves etc...
Dianeadae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianeadae For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (11-05-2008), scout52 (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I totally get that...

Although I have to say, my past employer was very awesome and let me knit at my window (I was a box office clerk for Live theatre)...My request to her was, it is no different than having a magazine out....and in the end, she benefited from it too....

I used to have home, DH's house and work, and sometimes the streetcar, but now I only have my new home....so even though I do not yet have a job....I still find myself with less time to knit...go figure!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
scout52 (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

You have my sympathies!!!!!

But, do you need to re-evaluate your priorities? Are you taking on too much in other areas of your life, leaving no time for yourself/relaxation/knitting?

Maybe there is something else you need to say "no" to right now, so that you can buy yourself some time?
________
Aging Forums

Last edited by MoniDew : 02-19-2011 at 07:11 PM.
MoniDew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
scout52 (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
jpenguin
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to jpenguin Send a message via Yahoo to jpenguin
I have finally learned after year off saying "yes" to everyone & everything that left me no time for myself to say "no". I was a stay at home mom up until January when I went back to work cause my kids are now in high school & don't need me as much anymore. I did lose my crafting time during the day but now have one night a week set aside to join some girlfriends at a local coffee shop to knit. Yea for me!I look forward to those nights & my family knows what night it is & they are on their own for dinner or have to rely on dad for what every they need. And no I don't feel one bit guilty about it! Girl talk & knitting, just what ever girl needs each week.

OTN: Socks! Socks! & more Socks! for me for winter. I drive a school bus. BRRRR!!

Crocheting: Ripple Stitch Afghan in collegiate yarn from Hobby Lobby for DH.

UFO's: Ballet Wrap Sweater with Ovation Yarn; this thing keeps stareing at me to pick it back up. Braided Wrap with Therapy Yarn.
jpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpenguin For This Useful Post:
scout52 (11-05-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
scout52
Working the Gusset

thanks for all your kind words. I take my knitting with me everywhere I go. So if I have 5 min to spare I will pull it out. I try to knit during lunch but lately I had to eat lunch at my desk. :( It really slows you down when you are working on the weekend as well. I did manage to get some booties off when I got one day off while waiting for the replacement yarn to come in.

I really hope work slows down soon. It has been non stop since the end of September and I am getting worn out!!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I know how you feel. I can only knit when my rig is parked. Well, ok, I probably COULD knit while driving my rig but somehow I just don't think it would be a good idea

The other day I got a little sore at the truckstop waitress for bringing my food too quickly. I hadn't even finished one row yet!

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
scout52
Working the Gusset

Oh I soo needed that!! Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
nephthys8

I can relate, too.

I live in the suburbs of Washington DC and commute into the city (about 50 mins each way) every day to work. This commute is a LOT shorter than my two hour commute last year, but now that I live closer to the city, it seems like I am always busy! I do knit on the metro on my way to work, but I don't usually get a seat on the way home, so I can only knit one way. I also knit at work while I eat lunch. (This leads to LOTS of questions and compliments from my co-workers, I might add.)

Home is the worst, though. It always seems like there's something that needs to be done: bills to pay, cleaning, spending time with my cat, or things I want to go out and do with my friends. Lately, I have been blowing off all of the above to knit because I am working on an exchange project with a deadline. But, hoo boy, sometimes I just have to do the other stuff and deal with the fact that I can't knit. It sucks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
scout52 (11-07-2008)