Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 AM   #21
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Oh Sandy, that is so pretty!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #22
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Thanks Jan!
I love it too, especially how soft the wool is. I think I might have to make a pair of wool mittens for myself now!

I finished the first mitten, and did the cuff of the 2nd mitten last night. So, I'm sure I'll have it finished by tonight.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #23
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
Picture of My mittens!
Here they are! They are going out in the mail tomorrow!

~danielle~
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1852.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	50930  

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Secksiebrat For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #24
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Excellent, Danielle!

I finished mine too!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Both of yours are beautiful!

Mine got mailed today! I hope they get there by Thursday. They should seeing as I'm only 350 miles south, but you know the postal service. I figured though that if they don't they will just get sent to Afghanistan at another time and will still be loved.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
I sent mine priority mail. The postal man told me Wednesday, Thursday if not at the latest! I hope they make it in time!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #27
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Mine were sent Priority yesterday.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Here's the message I received in my email today.

They received over 1000 pairs of mittens!

Dear Mitten Makers,

We just had to email you before the end of the day to report back on the mitten count, on our Mines-to-Mittens campaign for Roots of Peace.

Just 2 weeks ago, we announced the call for 300 pairs of mittens for Roots of Peace, the humanitarian organization that transforms minefields into agricultural land. Our gifts are for the girls and boys attending their schools built through their Pennies for Peace campaign.

We thought the goal in this short timeframe would be a challenge ... We were thinking ... our major youth campaign for the winter ended just a couple weeks prior and didn't everyone deserve a break? And, time to start focusing on Thanksgiving ... and making gifts for family and friends for the holidays? Yet, we'd give it our best try anyway.

Have a seat ... the results are spectacular ...

We counted 1,017 pairs of mittens at the end of the day, today. Yes -- 1,017 pairs of lovingly made, gorgeous mittens for young hands in Afghanistan.

Just amazing. Thank you so much to all the volunteers near and far (hey, we even got a couple envelopes from Italy and one from New Zealand!) who jumped at the chance to knit or crochet mittens for this special opportunity presented
by Roots of Peace. The overall quality of the whole collection of mittens is top-notch -- wonderful wool and animal fibers, endless variety of colors and patterns, and lovely stitching.

(Interesting factoid: the mittens count for the recent youth campaign across a few months was 850 pairs. We'll write again soon with more details on the youth campaign.)

Our devoted local Bay Area packing volunteers opened all the envelopes, sorted, and inspected mittens galore in two full afternoons. Great team work and fun company, as always, in our AFSC Collection Center ... in the Basement.

300 pairs of mittens are now enroute to Washington, DC, where Roots of Peace will honor Afghan Ambassador Jawad for his service to his homeland. Roots of Peace will be using our mittens as part of their presentation to dignitaries as a tangible example of how North Americans are reaching out in friendship and peace to the children of Afghanistan. Mittens for young hands that hopefully will never encounter the scourge of landmines. The DC mittens will subsequently continue their journey to Kabul for distribution to girls and boys for winter wear. The mittens overage will likely travel in portions on a space available basis in the baggage of staff going to Afghanistan. Armfuls and armfuls of much-needed warm, beautiful mittens for 1,017 pairs of beautiful human hands on the other side of the world from us.

Heidi Kuhn, CEO of Roots of Peace, emailed me tonight to say they are overwhelmed by your generosity of spirit.

And, we wish Roots of Peace our very best as they continue their vital mission helping the Afghan people turn war-torn lands back to productive agriculture.

Thank you for taking on this challenge with such zeal and heart. Thank you for being responsive and generous -- and wild about mittens!

Have a good weekend!

Cheers to all,
Ann and colleagues
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Secksiebrat (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #29
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Now what was I saying recently about knitters being so generous? This proves my point! Awesome!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #30
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
You said it Jan
Congratulations !!!

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote