Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #41
evona
Working the Gusset

My DD was a real stinker when she was little (what am I saying was for, she still is!) and she always got her little brother involved too. Once when my DD was about 4 and my DS about 2 I set them down for naps. I sat down on the couch, and exhausted, wound up taking a little nap myself. Next thing I know there is a knock on my door. A woman I didn't recognize was at the door and behind her were my children - My DD in a t shirt and bare feet and my DS with his training pants on and nothing else (it was summer in the Los Angeles San Fernando Valley). It so happens that my DD decided to sneak into my room and out of the window and took her brother along. They went to a near by neighbors house, knocked on their door and asked for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I had just moved into the neighborhood and didn't know my neighbors yet. Thank GOD they weren't weirdos!!! Anyway, because the kids asked for food I got a knock on my door a few hours later from the police. The neighbors called them and told them they feared my kids weren't being fed. Thankfully the police were understanding. I showed them my full refrigerator and cupboards and they checked the kids for bruises and asked them a few questions about why they were outside. I don't recall having to go through anything more. But I was so scared that a simple mistake (yes I should have made sure my window was secure before falling asleep myself) and a child's curiosity and penchant for PB & J could get me investigated and may even have cost me my children.

I did have a good talk with both kids!!! I'm just very lucky it turned out ok. There are many times when I think about that day and I do have more sympathy when things like that happen to parents now than I think I would have before it happened to me.

You absolutely did the right thing bailsmom.

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evona For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (11-20-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #42
lizardknits
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree with what you said about 911.
It is an emergency number for a reason. I recently called 911 for myself a few weeks ago (November 12th, to be exact). I had called it on my cell phone, and my cell phone, when I had punched in 9-1-1, said "Attempting to make emergency call." I said to myself (out loud),"I know. I need it." After what I thought was going to help, eating a hamburger, I realized I was too weak to even hold the hamburger, and that I needed help.

To make a long story short, i had a hypoglycemic incident (combined with severe cramps/weakness from that time of the month and dehydration) at school (im a college senior) and was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I very nearly fainted. I went to the ER a zombie and a ghost (I was 30% there mentally, at the most, more likely 25%. i was also as white as a hospital bedsheet. ) I got a room and was given IV fluids almost immediately (I had them for 3 hours). I was registered later because I was in such bad shape that I could not even sit up without feeling like I would faint. After a few hours of IV fluids, I was actually able to sit up without feeling faint and the color had returned to my skin. I went home (back to school...I live on campus) after three hours at the ER, able to walk and fully function. My friend Kyle (female) had been with me throughout the ordeal. I had asked her to go with me to the follow up, since she had been far more coherent than I and a wittness to what had happened. My GP (here in town) said that I may have a tendency to hypoglycemia since my dad is diabetic. He also said that the tests done in the ER made sense (all tests had come back normal).

otn- a beautiful turquoise blanket in moss stitch (for previously mentioned cousin's coming second child, due late july 2012)
FO- a few hats in the round(just taught myself to join without twisting)
to try next- an entrelac blanket with yarn someone gave my mom
something else fun- making a blanket in the round
lizardknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #43
lizardknits
1st Leg of the Journey

i am doing a lot better now, by the way. I have a medical ID bracelet (that I want to get engraved) and I watch myself more carefully now. I try to always have snacks available now.

otn- a beautiful turquoise blanket in moss stitch (for previously mentioned cousin's coming second child, due late july 2012)
FO- a few hats in the round(just taught myself to join without twisting)
to try next- an entrelac blanket with yarn someone gave my mom
something else fun- making a blanket in the round
lizardknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #44
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by miccisue View Post
You definitely did the right thing.

I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable, though. It's become scary to try and help a child who is in trouble.

A couple of years ago, I was at my local WalMart in the ladies clothing department, and there was a little girl about 3 or 4 just walking around crying her eyes out. I stopped and asked her if she was lost, and she said yes. Fortunately we were in site of the customer service desk, so I pointed to where the ladies were working and said "will you let me walk you over to the WalMart ladies so they can help find your mommy?" She said yes, so we walked over to the desk and had them page her mom. Well, when Mom showed up, she gave me a look like I'd tried to make off with her kid, and then started yelling at the little girl for not staying with them. I just nodded at the gals behind the counter and went on about my business.

It's sad when you feel weird and creepy about helping a child who is lost, cold, or in a bad situation.....and it makes you wonder how many people just turn around and walk away from the same situation simply so they won't have to get looked at like they're a criminal when all they're trying to do is help.
I've been in that situation a couple of times. Im not a huge fan of kids but i'm not going to walk by while a little kid is lost and scared. I will always ask if they are ok and where they last saw their parent/carer and then take them to the nearest shop assistant or security gaurd. but the number of times i have been looked at or even heard 'what are you doing with my daughter?' is ridiculous and now makes me hesitant to help. On one occasion where i was shouted at (whilst stood at the customer service desk where they were paging the mum) the little girl had taken my hand, presumably for comfort. I know the mother was probably shocked and scared herself, but it was no reason to go accusing somebody who helped of trying to abduct their child.

Im glad you are now at ease with your decision Bailsmom. I don't know if i would have done the same thing or alerted the police and stayed near/with the child ... i guess it all depends on the situation and the area you are in, but doing somthing is far better than doing nothing!

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (11-29-2008)
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #45
hummingbird
1st Leg of the Journey

You did the right thing.

I have a similar story. I was out by the front of the house, and I see this little girl walking down the street by herself, no shoes, and way to little to be by herself. I talk to her and ask her where she lives. She shows me the house and tells me her mommy won't wake up, she's freaking out about it. I starting thinking what's wrong with her mom, does she need to go to the hospital!? I open the door for the girl, she could reach to go out, but not back in. She pulls me to her moms room, and her mom was just asleep. No heart attack after all. I must have really scared her, waking up to a stranger in her room. That little girl just had me so scared that something was really wrong! I explained and left, and didn't see them again.
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hummingbird For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (12-04-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #46
TEMA
Turning the Heel

My dear, do not even question yourself about this. Your instincts are right on and the fact that you followed your instincts is so wonderful!
So many people see a problem and are afraid to get involved but you saw the problem and did something about it. Good for you!

TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TEMA For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (12-04-2008)