Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
purplegirl
Ribbing the Cuff

First Lace Project
Hello, generous and helpful friends!

I've been totally captivated by all the beautiful shawls out there and have decided to try and make one myself. But I needs your help!

I found this yarn on ebay: Laceweight Cashmere Yarn
I'm wondering - she mentions that this retails for over $100 in stores - why is it so cheap? Should I be suspicious? How can one even be suspicious of a knitter? Knitters are all nice... right?

And I started going through all the free shawl patterns on ravelry and found one that I think looks gorgeous and still rather simple: the Pangea Shawl.

My question is: Should I begin with this one?

And - that yarn up there is different to the one mentioned in the pattern. Can I still use it? Will it change the needle size I have to use, and the size of the finished item?

What did people DO before KnittingHelp.com???

Thank YOU!!!!
purplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

I'd be a little dubious over the claim of it being 100% cashmere but if you like it and the feeback of the seller gives you no reason to worry then i'd go for it. (although perhaps you could ask the seller where the yarn came from and any other details since the ball shown doesn't have the usual information label on it).

Since you are knitting lace, the needle size and guage can be a little misleading. The pattern calls for larger needles than either the recomended yarn or the yarn you are looking at gives, since the larger needles hel to create the airy float feel of lace.
The yarn you are looking at is a little heavier than the recomended ayrn but i dont think it is enough of a difference to matter for the pattern so using the recomended 4mm needles should be fine.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
purplegirl (11-19-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I agree with Sophie that the yarn is probably fine to use with your chosen pattern. That shawl is GORGEOUS!

However, I think you should trust your gut on the ebay yarn. The fact that it's *so* cheap, combined with the NO REFUNDS EVER FOR ANY REASON policy would make me really nervous. Unfortunately, in my experience, the old adage is true- if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Then again, it might be just cheap enough to be worth it to you- if it's not good yarn, you can chalk it up as a learning experience.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
purplegirl (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
purplegirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by tarrentella View Post
I'd be a little dubious over the claim of it being 100% cashmere but if you like it and the feeback of the seller gives you no reason to worry then i'd go for it. (although perhaps you could ask the seller where the yarn came from and any other details since the ball shown doesn't have the usual information label on it).
You're right, I'm going to do that.

Originally Posted by tarrentella View Post
Since you are knitting lace, the needle size and guage can be a little misleading. The pattern calls for larger needles than either the recomended yarn or the yarn you are looking at gives, since the larger needles hel to create the airy float feel of lace.
The yarn you are looking at is a little heavier than the recomended yarn but i dont think it is enough of a difference to matter for the pattern so using the recomended 4mm needles should be fine.
It is? The recommended yarn is 4 ply/Fingering, which Ravelry says yields about 28 stitches per 10cm, whereas the ebay yarn looks like Lace weight with 32 - 36 stitches per 10cm. So isn't it lighter than the recommended yarn? And maybe the needle would be too huge for something that light?

Thanks so much!!!

Originally Posted by Abbily
However, I think you should trust your gut on the ebay yarn. The fact that it's *so* cheap, combined with the NO REFUNDS EVER FOR ANY REASON policy would make me really nervous. Unfortunately, in my experience, the old adage is true- if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Then again, it might be just cheap enough to be worth it to you- if it's not good yarn, you can chalk it up as a learning experience.
Yeah, this is my first lace project, so it might turn out really funky. I don't want to spend too much money on it, so I like the idea of getting 1000 yards for $16 And the seller has 100% positive feedback, so that's reassuring...

THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Miss Kittie
1st Leg of the Journey

Just to let you know, the yarn is lighter weight then Laceweight yarn..
More like what they call cobweb.
I tried cobweb for my first Lace project and didn't work out for me. I needed something like fingerweight to start ( first project) then after went down to the laceweight and cobweb.

I got this in purple for my first lace shawl http://cgi.ebay.com/cashmere-wool-bl...1%7C240%3A1318
Did work out to well... Way to thin for me when I started.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
purplegirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Miss Kittie View Post
Just to let you know, the yarn is lighter weight then Laceweight yarn..
More like what they call cobweb.
I tried cobweb for my first Lace project and didn't work out for me. I needed something like fingerweight to start ( first project) then after went down to the laceweight and cobweb.

I got this in purple for my first lace shawl http://cgi.ebay.com/cashmere-wool-bl...1%7C240%3A1318
Did work out to well... Way to thin for me when I started.
Hmm. Hmm. How do you know that they're the same weight? According to Ravelry, there are 4 different kinds of Lace weight. The yarn I'm looking at gives 32-36 stitches per 10cm. Is this cobweb? The one you linked to doesn't have specific information like stitches per inch.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

Sorry you are right i had my numbers backwards last time. the ebay yarn is lighter, so perhaps dropping a needle size would help. At that sort of yarn gauge and in a lace pattern imnot sure how different it would lok. Im not a lace knitter myself i'm afraid.
Sorry i can't be of more use, but good luck to you!

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
purplegirl (11-20-2008)