Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

my husband's mad at me coz I won't sell my stuff in a Xmas craft show!

Geez! Ok, so he's downstairs like really mad at me because there is a local Xmas show here in the Catskills in this little village... and he's been saying I could make a couple hundred for the past few weeks and I kept saying I don't think sooooooo AND today I got out all my stuff, some beautiful angora & mohair skinny scarves, about 5 adult hats (Noro newsboy cap, watermelon wool hat) and some really sweet baby hats I experimented on. Some cell phone holders.
And I'm looking at it all and thinking, I DON'T WANT TO SELL THIS STUFF I LOVE IT) (I love that soft red long long skinny scarf!) Maybe it would be different if I could be there but you have to just drop it all off and they arrange it. (they get 20%) And he thinks ha ha people will pay $40 for a little skinny scarf, maybe in the city (NYC) yes but here? Now? I don't think so! I did sell two hats last winter at a shop up here for $60 and $50 but that was a special shop. But I really love this stuff and I don't want to sell it for like $10 why CAN'T HE UNDERSTAND THAT? geez

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
thepurplegg
Ribbing the Cuff

Most people don't understand how much hand knitted items really cost, even with just materials and not even including labor. $10 or $15 for something made with Noro or angora, you might as well throw it at random people on the street.

They're your babies and you want them to go to a good home, which is perfectly reasonable. He's probably just seeing dollar signs and if he doesn't have a craft doesn't get it like most people... I agree with you though. If it's not the right price for the items, and if you can't tell who they're going to, it might not be worth it.
thepurplegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Sorry to hear your husband is being so un-understanding. I just noticed that you mentioned that you're from the cat skills, and my parents are from there. Just wondering what part.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
tokmom
Turning the Heel

Tell him to whip up something ornate out of wood that he spent time sawing, sanding and painting. Then see if he wants to sell it for a few bucks.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by crazykntter83 View Post
Sorry to hear your husband is being so un-understanding. I just noticed that you mentioned that you're from the cat skills, and my parents are from there. Just wondering what part.
Husbands!!! Sometimes they just don't get it!

I am also from the Catskills - Monticello. My mother still lives there. Where are you?

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Well my Mom was from the Kerhonkson area and my Dad was from Cottic Hill. I have no idea how to spell it, but that's the way it sounds when you pronounce it. I'm in GA now. I haven't been up to the Catskills in years now, and when I saw you were from there it was like a blast from the past! Awesome to meet you! I'll have to tell my Mom about you in the morning, she'll think that's cool. I hope things settle down with your husband soon.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
teachermom
1st Leg of the Journey

My DH used to not understand why I knit, sew, and quilt. I always used to tell him that he needed to get a hobby - that was about 10 years ago. He finally got a hobby and now hunts with a friend, I get peaceful weekends of knitting, quilting, and sewing - I don't hear too much about all my stuff, all over the house, what are you making that for, etc... (it is either he has a hobby or just gave up and realized how much I like to do what I like to do)
Love it...

I know that when DH and I had disagreements over my hobbies - I had to explain to him why I liked it, even if he didn't understand. I think over the years he has seen how much time it takes for me to create something and sees that it does relax me, especially in times of stress.

When things cool down - talk to your hubby. He may not understand the particulars of the craft sale and doesn't understand that the items you made are worth a lot more than you could ever sell them for at the craft sale.

FO's: garterstitch scarf, dropped stitch cable fingerless mittens, socks for Christmas, and 6 baby hats, cabled toddler hat, hat for mom, MIL socks

My blog: http://knitquiltmom.blogspot.com/

I'm knitquiltmom on Ravelry... I'm slowly loading my projects. I also have several patterns that are being offered as free downloads.
teachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
bambi
Working the Gusset

Only someone who puts all the time into it knows how much effort it takes. My dad does stained glass and my mom has wanted him to put it in shops for years. I told her recently that he couldn't make up his time by selling lamps or windows. Things that intricate made by hand would have to be priced very high. You can buy the cheap stuff from china and people wouldn't understand the pricing. He might be able to make small suncatchers and do OK.

I have contemplated making up a few things but they might only be dishcloth and towel sets or facecloth and soapbag sets from something like sugar and cream. Not a huge outlay for materials and not a huge outlay for time, either.

Good luck talking to your hubby.

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
marlajap
1st Leg of the Journey

Tell your husband what I would perceive to be the truth at this moment in time - that people would be unwilling to pay a high price for any hand-crafted items at this time, due to the economic downturn. Retailers "get it" and are discounting like crazy, including putting up a bunch of loss-leader sale items to lure us into the store.

In a year when Black Friday won't see the big retailers get into the black, it's likely that your DH's plan to make a couple of hundred dollars would flop. People just don't have it this year, even those in the big cities. :(
blogging at http://knitvspurl.wordpress.com
marlajap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Mirl56
Instepping Out

He probably doesn't understand the true value of the items. Even in good economic times it's hard to get what they are worth.

I don't know, I guess somewhere people are paying $300+ for a hand knit sweater and $50-$75 for a scarf, but nobody in my world is buying them.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote