Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
ninjaheat
Casting On

Confused! Dividing your work for a V Neck
Hi!

I'm working on a Wenlan Chia VNeck vest worked on circular needles from her great book Big City Knits and I'm trying to understand what she means by DIVIDE FOR NECK. The body consists of a right side, a back and a left side all knitted in the round. I've got markers that show where the right side and left side start. I'm stumped at the point where she says divide for neck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
ninjaheat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It means you'll probably just work on one side of the front at a time. If that doesn't clear it up, you can post the line where you divide and we can help you more.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
The V neck will split at the center of the front. Half the front will go on the left and half on the right.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
ninjaheat
Casting On

Sorry still not really understanding, maybe it's the directions. I'm putting them below and hopefully someone can help me.

BODY
With smaller needles CO 44 sts. Pm to indicate beg of rnd. Join being careful not to twist stitches. Rnd 1: *K1P1, rep from *. Repeat until piece measures 5 3/4''. Change to larger needles.

Got the above finished.

Rnd 1: K5, work right side detail over next 2 sts., K4, pm, K20 Back sts., pm, K4, work left side detail over next 2 sts. K5

Work two rnds even.

(Right side detail: Rnd 1: K2tog, yo Rnd 2: knit

Left Side Detail: Rnd 1: yo, ssk Rnd 2: knit)

I'm confused as to whether I'm really doing 2 rounds or four rounds. I do Rnd 1 above including the Rnd 1 right and left side details and then the next Rnd, I knit everything. Then I do another Rnd of Rnd 1 above with the details and do another Rnd of knitting. Thats effectively 4 rounds but it says Work two rounds even. What's the difference between a round and a row?

DIVIDE FOR NECK
This is where I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't understand how I divide the neck, am I using straight needles instead of circular needles?

Work even to end of round, slip marker, turn.

Row 1 (WS): Purl

Row 2: Knit

Row 3: Purl

The pattern goes on from here, but if anyone can offer help on the first part that would be awesome! Thanks!
ninjaheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Rnd 1: K5, work right side detail over next 2 sts., K4, pm, K20 Back sts., pm, K4, work left side detail over next 2 sts. K5

Work two rnds even.

(Right side detail: Rnd 1: K2tog, yo Rnd 2: knit

Left Side Detail: Rnd 1: yo, ssk Rnd 2: knit)

I'm confused as to whether I'm really doing 2 rounds or four rounds. I do Rnd 1 above including the Rnd 1 right and left side details and then the next Rnd, I knit everything. Then I do another Rnd of Rnd 1 above with the details and do another Rnd of knitting. Thats effectively 4 rounds but it says Work two rounds even. What's the difference between a round and a row?
Do round 1, then 2 more rounds. Then work the RF detail and the LF detail on the next round. A row is knit flat, a round is knit in the round.

The next part:
"DIVIDE FOR NECK
Work even to end of round, slip marker, turn.
Row 1 (WS): Purl
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: Purl"

... is where you start knitting flat. At the end of your round, turn and purl back all the way, then turn and knit a row, turn and purl a row. You can do it on your circs and because of the number of stitches, you probably need to.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Yep, because of the V neck split you'll have to work it flat. The way it reads you're starting on one side of the V, working all the way around to the other side of the V, then turning the work and knitting back around again.

That's why every other row (round) is purled, so as to maintain the stockinette stitch. As I'm sure you know to do stockinette when knitting flat the WS is purled.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote