Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
lilpinkchainsaw
Casting On

You can help prevent a knitting faux pas!
Hey, guys! :D

Okay, so - just a little introduction. I'm Lil and I'm a super-super-super-new knitter (like I literally have only really just perfected my garter stitch, haven't tried binding off yet and the thought of purling kinda scares me ) but I have a quick question.

I've been practicing a ton with some worsted yarn and sz8 needles off and on for a few weeks and then suddenly realized that I got it! But so I'm moving onto my first project, which is a scarf. I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky and 13 needles and so far, it's going very well! I bought myself a pair of acrylic needles and I love them - paired with this yarn, everything is fantastic!

But so - I'd like to do horizontal stripes of other colors in the design, but when I checked the site, I see that the Wool-Ease Chunky only comes in charcoal, which isn't really what I had in mind. I definitely want something quite a bit lighter. Then I had a thought - well, maybe I can pick up a woolier yarn that's a bit rougher to the touch than the WEC and that way it looks cool and it feels cool too and that way I can widen my searching to other brands of yarn to find the shade of gray I want.

My question is - is it a faux-pas to knit with two yarns that contrast in texture that way? Or would it make finishing the project difficult, somehow? Any pitfalls or anything I should look out for? Thanks in advance :D
lilpinkchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Wool-Ease Chunky comes in lots of colors! I think there are about 24..
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/yarnInfo.cgi

But no, it's not a faux pas to do anything. It's just a personal choices and a design feature in some cases. Be aware though that sometimes doubling yarn makes it thicker or thinner than the original and that could make it look other than you want.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
lilpinkchainsaw
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
But no, it's not a faux pas to do anything. It's just a personal choices and a design feature in some cases. Be aware though that sometimes doubling yarn makes it thicker or thinner than the original and that could make it look other than you want.
Doh! I didn't notice the second page of yarns - woops. I'm just not used to the layout of the site and don't know where to look for stuff. lol

Well, see, that's the thing - according to the pattern on the reverse side of the wrap band, it says something about knitting a certain length and then folding the finished thing in half and securing either end to each other width-wise! So if I'm reading it right, they want you to double it anyway, but I'm afraid doing it that way would be too bulky and the scarf will be too short for me.

With this yarn, even just one layer/panel of it seems quite lovely and thick, judging by what I've knitted so far, so I was figuring I'd make one long panel (rather than fold it in half as the pattern described), so that I can wrap it around more. It gets super cold around here, so I'd like to have something I can bundle up with! :giggle:

Thanks for the help!
lilpinkchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
You're not required to follow patterns, either. If you like it in a single panel, go for it. I have noticed that I rarely follow patterns exactly. Sometimes I change things on purpose, sometimes on accident... sometimes I like the change, and sometimes I discover that there was a reason the designer did things the way they did. It's all good, though.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
It'll be YOUR scarf and you can do anything you want with it!

The only thing you might want to think about when switching yarns is the thickness. If you used a bulky and a worsted, your scarf would go from thick to thin and back. If that's the look you want, great! If not, do something else.

It's a scarf--no size limitations, and lots of opportunity to experiment.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

The first thing I ever knitted was a scarf for my husband with Wool-Ease Chunky in Spice. It's got a lot of mistakes, but I learned a lot while making it (no pattern). I, personally, would NOT double it! It's so thick already that you'll end up with something that's way too thick and way too warm.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

I use different yarns all the time. If you don't like the effect you can just frog it back.

I would give thought to how they will wash. I wouldn't use a yarn that has to be washed one way, and a yarn that has to be cared for a different way. Just so it is easier on the person who will be wearing the scarf. Basically, I wouldn't put wool and cotton together, but sounds like you are going to use all wool.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

I'm just knitting a scarf with different weights of yarn, scrap yarn,... I have one main yarn, the others are not considered as such. I cast on 50 stitches with an eyelash yarn, then knit 5 rows, changed to lace, knit 5 rows, changed back to eyelash, 5 rows, then changed to main yarn, which was a little thicker, so I knit2 together across to reduce the stitches to 25.
On the next eyelash interlude, I doubled the stitches again. It gives a lovely result. Then I switched from main yarn to a thicker yarn, and with the thicker yarn, I used 1x1 ribbing, to keep it about the same width (the scarf).

You have to experiment with those things, maybe pre-think how you want it to look, to feel, how you can knit it.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote