Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
gnothiseauton
Casting On

Joining two fabrics side to top
I am having to piece parts of a shawl together. I am not following a pattern, and am fairly new to knitting. Both pieces are in St st with slip-st edges. They are both square, 108 st by 144 rows. I need to sew the side of one piece to the top of the other (as cleanly and seamlessly as possible of course).

I've figured out that I need to sew 3 top-facing K sts for every 4 sideways-facing rows to stay even. So with a slip-st edge (1 slip-st every 2 rows right?) I'm alternating sewing 2 top-facing K st into one side slip-st and then one top to one slip (*2 top/one side ; 1 top/one side* rep from *).

So then I'm stuck! How does one sew as seamlessly as possible side to top facing fabric? Neither kitchener nor matress st will work i don't think since they both require same-direction fabric.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gnothiseauton is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Gee, I don't know how to answer you. This project - I would just put the 2 pieces together, bobby-pin the edges together. Then use a whip-stitch to join. Likely I'd do the whip-stitches pretty close together and of course use the same yarn as you used on your shawl.

Through use, the whip-stitches tend to flatten out. And they hold together nicely, in my experience.

Sewing side-to-top? You will never get an invisible join... simply because the stitches on the side face sideways and the stitches on the top face up and down.

Sounds like this is just the way your pattern is intended to look. So go with it - don't fight it. If you don't like the result, keep it to wear around the house and find a pattern that you find more appealing to make up instead.

Here's a hint: if you are making a shawl, try creating your own circular needles by using a honking-long length of weedeater nylon thread/filament and two wooden needle tips (6-7" or more) that you drill out the centers and glue the weedeater line into each. This way you can easily fit a whole long shawl on your needles and not need to piece together the results.

I think there are videos on the Net that show you how to make your 4-5' long circulars. Not hard, really!

Hope this helps,
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
gnothiseauton
Casting On

Thanks a bunch! Another idea: what if I did an edge of single crochet on the sides that join the top of the other piece, and crochet in enough loops to equal the number of loops on the top of the other piece, then whip stitch... or some other kind, like matress stitch? Would that be any different or better or worse than just whip-stiching directly into the slip stich edge?
gnothiseauton is offline   Reply With Quote