Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
lissaplus2
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to lissaplus2
WHY is it so hard to find a size???
Ok i come to all of you for help...Ive just spent WAYYY too much time looking on the net for this and ive got to get on with life...

I get this call last night from a girlfriend and all i got was...

hat, scarf, pink, christmas.

apparently the little girl was within earshot and she didnt want to say much. I got the picture.

Now I need to find the average size of an 8year old girls head so i know what size to make the hat. And, I was hoping to see what is the "in" length for little girls scarves?

Any help would be WONDERFUL and APRICIATED!!

thanks, Melissa
lissaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

Have you seen these charts?

http://www.yarnstandards.com/headsize.html

http://www.shushans.com/sixthpage.html

Hats sized for adult women are generally between 20" (50.8 cm) or 21" (53.3 cm), so for a child 18" (45.7 cm) to 19" (48.3 cm) should work (based on the chart measurements).

As for scarf measurements, I am not up on the latest "in" length for kid scarves; however, looking at scarf patterns for kids the average length seems to lie somewhere between 40" (101.6 cm) and 48" (121.9 cm). Even thought I saw a pattern for a 60" long scarf, I wouldn't make a scarf that long for an active child since it might get caught on stray objects or they could trip on it. Width seems to be pretty steady at 5" (12.7 cm).

I know mom did not want little ears to over hear her request, but is it possible for her to take measurements of the little girls' outwear garments (hat and scarf) for measurement basing for the items you plan to make.

HTH.
Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Katrina's right on the 'average' head size for a child. I should just point out it's a good idea to get a measurement. My dd is 4.5 years, and her head is 21" around!!! I would make a hat and it would be too small. Waaaay too small.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
ladybug_ja
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with the pp about those average head circumferences. My 3 year old has a 20" head!! So, you might want to see if the mom can get you some measurements.

I would think as long as you make a pattern with a bit of give to it (ribbing at the brim?) it should fit fine.

Good luck!

Julie

Helmet with ear flaps
from Sirdar Snuggly pattern 1711 for my 2 year old nephew in Patons Canadiana in Rainbow Varigated and Navy.

I'm JulieKnitsinON on Ravelry
ladybug_ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I would say make it adult size....

I find that there really isn't too much difference between the child and adult size head at a point.

I have been doing Harry Potter camps, going as Hermione...and when I go get the wig...it is child size and fits my head perfectly...

If it were a guy...I would be hesitant...cause I know a few guys with a pretty big head...but to be safe...go bigger...if it doesn't fit...she may just grow into it....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote