Old 11-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

Help with River and Woods Afghan from IK 2008 Holiday
I am knitting the River and Woods afghan from the Interweave Knits Holiday 2008 issue. I did my first tier, and I am now on my second block, which is a cabled block. The first row is a cast on, the 2nd row is the set up row, and the then the 3rd row of the chart is (k2 mp, k2, mp) Well I have casted on 12 for this new tier, but the legend says that mp=purl into the front and back of the stitch. So I am creating a stitch via bar increase, and then stitch into the back and front of that, or do I stitch into the front and back of an existing stitch, which makes me run out of stitches before I am done with the chart. Any advice would be great. Happy Thanksgiving.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

I'm not sure how you would run out of stitches doing this.
K2, mp, K2,mp takes up 6 stitches so that would be reapeated 2 times over the 12 stitches you have.
if the mp is a purl into front and back then that is increasing you by 4 stitches to give you a total of 16 stitches.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Is that a special edition of IW knits? I have the latest one (winter 2008?), but can't find it, but it may not be the same as the one you mentioned. If you are supposed to k2, mp, all the way across with 12 stitches to begin with, it seems like it works. Knit 2 stitches and the next stitch you do purl into the front and back of that stitch. That uses 3 stitches. You can repeat that 4 times across the 12 stitches, which would be (K2, mp, K2, mp) repeated 2 times.

When you mp you purl into the front of the stitch and then you have to purl into the back loop. Amy probably shows that in the increases.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
... the legend says that mp=purl into the front and back of the stitch. So I am creating a stitch via bar increase, and then stitch into the back and front of that, or do I stitch into the front and back of an existing stitch, which makes me run out of stitches before I am done with the chart.
Btw, the cast on is not usually considered a row, so are you sure that the pattern actually says that, or is that how you interpret it?

It's telling you that mp is make (inc 1) in purl by purling in the front and back, not doing a M1 st and purl in front and back.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, you do a knitted cast on of 12 stitches, right side facing you, then you do a set up row which is p2 k8 p2. Now, you start in the pattern. The note on the side of the chart, where it numbers the rows says "1 WS". So you sl 1 wyif, k1, then in pattern k2 mp k2 mp k2 mp k2 mp then k2. If I am increasing into every 3rd stitch, that is 12 stitches, because the set up row has every 3rd stitch charted as a "no stitch" which means you are only working 12 stitches, but for the next row, in order to be able to work every 3rd stitch you would need 18 stitches on the needle, instead of the 12 that I have, so does the MP that I am making a new purl stitch via bar increase?

I am so confused
Old 11-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Here is a picture of the afghan she is trying to make. This will give you all a better idea of what we are up against. LOL

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm not sure how they make such a thing, it is kind of like an Interlac or a Domino or something with one piece going one way and the next one going the other way.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Okay, the only way this works is for the increase to be a make 1 purlwise, not pfb. Then you'd end up with 16 sts on the next row.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	51071

i attached the chart. it is hard to read, but I pointed out the mps' on the chart. hope this helps. thanks for all of the advice so far
Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

I think you may be misreading the directions, both text and chart. You said you sl 1, k1, then k2, mp... but the chart shows only k2, mp. So either the sl1, k1 is not on the chart and you need more sts to work with, or you're to begin every row with a slip 1, and the next would have to be k1 to match the chart's k2. And I still think mp is make purl, not pfb; that would match with putting the mp box over the no stitch on the previous row which is there when there isn't a stitch to begin with. For it to be pfb, it would show a stitch there.

I don't find any corrections to the pattern; perhaps you can contact the designer through IK, or she may have a website, and ask for clarification.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

suzee -

you do slip the first stitch of every row, so the row in question reads like this:

sl 1 k1 *k2 mp k2 mp k2 mp k2 mp* then k2.

so you think it is make a purl, not pf&B.

So that would give me 16 total stitches on the needle and 12 in the pattern?

Hana Jason, the designer doesn't have her own website. :(