Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
georgelabi
Casting On

New member needs help re stitch holders!!! (Hello everyone!)
Hi all,

Am hoping someone can help me. Have been knitting for a while and am finally undertaking my most complicated task yet - a Sirdar Click tank top.

The back is done (easy enough)

The majority of the front is done, easy until I got to the neck and shoulder shaping.... aaarrrrggghhhhhh - HELP!

The first part of shaping the neck seems easy enough (even if it does involve using a stitch holder). I'm fine up untiil the pattern tells me to work on the remaining 25 stitches that are on the holder.
It says:
With rs facing, working on rem 25 stitches, slip 8 on to a stitch holder (does that mean I keep the first 8 on the stitch holder and put the others back on the needle?)
rejoin yarn to remaining 17 stitches (how do I do this?)

Then it seems to get even more complicated (I was assured by the shop I bought the pattern in that it was easy.. hah!)

Now comes the neckband:

Join right shoulder seam (help!)
With rs facing, using 7mm needles, pick up and knit 34 stitches evenly along left side of neck, 8 stitches left on a holder at the front of the neck, 34 stitches evenly along right side of neck and 18 sts from back of neck. 94 stitches (I don't understand any of this!) Starting with 2nd row of 2x2 rib work 3 rows. Cast off in rib (how do I cast off in rib?)

Finally, it comes to the armhole borders:

Join left shoulder and neckband seams. With rs facing, using 7mm needles pick up and knit 66 sts evenly all around armhole edge. Starting with 2nd row of 2x2 rib work 3 rows. Cast off in rib (again, help!)

I don't know if I'm asking for too much - if it's too difficult to explain all of this via a forum or if I'm just asking too many questions but I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm desperate to get this thing finished!

If you read this, thank you! If you can help in any way... an even bigger THANK YOU!!!!

Georgina
georgelabi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
OK, I'll give this a shot!

Quote:
With rs facing, working on rem 25 stitches, slip 8 on to a stitch holder (does that mean I keep the first 8 on the stitch holder and put the others back on the needle?)
rejoin yarn to remaining 17 stitches (how do I do this?)
Without seeing the rest of the pattern, it's hard to say for sure. But yes, it sounds like you put all the other stitches on a needle and leave those 8 on a holder. As for rejoining yarn- basically you just start knitting with it, leaving yourself a tail to weave in later.

Quote:
Join right shoulder seam (help!)
With rs facing, using 7mm needles, pick up and knit 34 stitches evenly along left side of neck, 8 stitches left on a holder at the front of the neck, 34 stitches evenly along right side of neck and 18 sts from back of neck. 94 stitches (I don't understand any of this!) Starting with 2nd row of 2x2 rib work 3 rows. Cast off in rib (how do I cast off in rib?)

There are a few ways to join seams- check out the videos on this site for help. Once you have the seams joined, you'll have (I'm guessing) a square or rectangular shape for the neck of the garment. You're going to pick up stitches around this neck hole. Again, check the videos on this site for help with that. You're going to rib those stitches for 3 rows, then cast them off. I *think* casting off in ribbing just means knit, knit, pass 1st over 2nd, purl, pass the knit over the purl, purl again, pass that over, etc....

Hope this helps!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
dmbell
Casting On

[quote=Abbily;1178050]OK, I'll give this a shot!

The 8 stitches that you want to be left on your stitch holder are the ones in the middle of the garment so that the ones you are knittng with are the ones next to the armhole. If you look at the instructions for joining the neckband refers to the 8 stitches on the holder which seem to be in the centre of the neck shaping if that makes sense.

The casting off just ensures that you keep the pattern the same so (K, K, pass stitch over, P, pass stitch over, p, pass stitch over )repeat until end
dmbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
georgelabi
Casting On

Thank you both for replying, I really appreciate it. Will check out the videos for some help although am a bit scared of trying it. I feel like I've got so far with the pattern, I don't want to mess it up in the last bit.

I still don't understand the picking up stitches and knitting in to them. If you have any input as far as that's concerned I will be even more indebted to you both ;-)

Thanks again.. will let you know how it goes. (god help me lol)
georgelabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Watch the 'picking up stitches' video- I promise it will make sense.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you pick up a stitch, you're `knitting into' an existing stitch that's not actually on your left needle. Just pretend that it's on your needle and `knit' into it which is the same thing as picking it up.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote