Old 11-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
bean1210
Casting On

Can this hat be saved?
I have only been knitting for a few months--I've made some scarves. I decided to branch out and try the umbilical cord hat pattern in Stitch N Bitch. The pattern called for me to CO 64 stitches. For some reason, I kept thinking it was 74 stitches, and I now have 3 inches of hat with 74 CO stitches instead of 64. Once I have 5" of hat, the pattern calls for me to knit 8 and then use a place marker--I was supposed to do this 8 times. So, will the hat be a big ole mess if I do a placemarker for every 8 stitches 9 times (I'll have 2 stitches left over-)? Uggh! Is there anything I can do to salvage this, or should I just frog it and start over? Thanks for helping a newbie out!
P.S. It was originally meant to be for my newborn nephew, but since I made it too big, I was thinking if I salvage it, I could use it for my toddler-
bean1210 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can first dec 2 sts, one at the beginning of the round, and one halfway around. That gets your st number to 72 which will work with putting the marker every 8 sts so you can decrease it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

I would agree with Suzze on this althougn maybe do it in a slightly different way. I would deacrease 1 stitch at the start of the row using K2tog and count it as one stitch. I would then place the markers as the pattern says (every 8 stitches (counting from that first k2tog) then at the very end of the row i would do another k2tog.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by bean1210 View Post
I have only been knitting for a few months--I've made some scarves. I decided to branch out and try the umbilical cord hat pattern in Stitch N Bitch. The pattern called for me to CO 64 stitches. For some reason, I kept thinking it was 74 stitches, and I now have 3 inches of hat with 74 CO stitches instead of 64. Once I have 5" of hat, the pattern calls for me to knit 8 and then use a place marker--I was supposed to do this 8 times. So, will the hat be a big ole mess if I do a placemarker for every 8 stitches 9 times (I'll have 2 stitches left over-)? Uggh! Is there anything I can do to salvage this, or should I just frog it and start over? Thanks for helping a newbie out!
P.S. It was originally meant to be for my newborn nephew, but since I made it too big, I was thinking if I salvage it, I could use it for my toddler-
I am working on this same pat..right now..I (FYI I co'd 62sts)..I am using a US6 circ needle..Here's my question to you..First of all what size needle/yarn are you using? I really don't think 10 extra sts are going to be that big of a deal.....I'll keep checkin for you reply
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
bean1210
Casting On

confused as to why post was deleted?
I am confused. I asked a totally different question in the new post about using dpn and using stitch markers??
Thanks-
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
bean1210
Casting On

Oh-duh. I see. You meant that questions about this pattern go in this thread. Sorry about that! I am using 5 mm circular needles. I might not be advanced enough for this pattern because the part with the dpn has thrown me for a loop. I just tried to decrease down to 64 stitches so I could follow the pattern exactly, but now it's just turning into a big ole mess.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Quote:
Oh-duh. I see. You meant that questions about this pattern go in this thread. Sorry about that!
Exactly. Since it was basically the same question I felt it belonged here.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

I think the mod who deleted it thought it was a duplicate of your first post.

You wrote that you don't understand about where to place the markers. It says "knit 8 stitches and place stitch marker between each 8 for one round. Next step is to knit 16 stitches onto a double pointed needle... and it says "be careful to slip the sm between the stitches and repeat 3 times more."

You should have placed a marker every 8 sts and slip the markers from one needle to another when you come to them. Leave the markers where they are when you switch to dpns because you will decrease enough stitches that they won't go around the circular anymore. Or use Magic Loop - video on the Advanced Techniques page. And I think it's assuming you have a 5 needle set, 16 sts on 4 needles = 64 sts.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
bean1210
Casting On

stuck with 2nd dpn
Sorry-I am trying to figure out this dpn deal. I knit 16 stitches on the first dpn, but I am unsure how to proceed with the next double pointed needle. I can't knit from the first dpn onto the second dpn, so should I be picking up stitches? I searched the videos, but I'm not sure I see anything similar to what I'm doing--would that be the magic round video you mentioned? Thanks again!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

You would use another dpn and just knit another 16 sts onto it, then another on the next needle. That's what this means "knit 16 stitches onto a double pointed needle... repeat 3 times more." It assumes you have a 5 needle set and you knit 16 sts onto 4 needles and use the 5th one to knit.