Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
ladybug_ja
Ribbing the Cuff

Sirdar Snuggly DK Pattern 1711
Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had problems with this pattern?

http://www.sirdar.co.uk/designs/babi...tiesmitts/1711

I have made 3 hats now from this pattern and all 3 have been a pain!! I have found the stitch counts wrong after increases and decreases and the pattern hard to read. I ripped out one hat FOUR times!!!

Maybe it's just me or maybe there are problems with the pattern. I really like the way they turned out though....it was just hard getting them done. I am an intermediate knitter so I couldn't figure out for the life of me why these seemed so difficult....they are just HATS!

Thanks,

Julie

Helmet with ear flaps
from Sirdar Snuggly pattern 1711 for my 2 year old nephew in Patons Canadiana in Rainbow Varigated and Navy.

I'm JulieKnitsinON on Ravelry
ladybug_ja is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
miss_molly
1st Leg of the Journey

I have that pattern leaflet. Which style hat was the problem, and I'll take a look? How was the pattern hard to read... just so I know what I'm looking for.

sofiecat
miss_molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
ladybug_ja
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the help Miss Molly!

The worst one is the Helmet with ear flaps. I believe the intention is to make the ear flaps with a few sections of p2k2 ribbing but for the life of me I can't figure out how.

For instance, I was fine up until it says
"Next row: K1, inc in next st, patt to last 3 sts, inc in next st, K2. 10 sts" I can't figure out how they mean to "patt to last 3 sts"....it just doesn't seem like you CAN follow the patt. I thought it meant just to Knit the knits and purl the purls but then you get to the part where it says

"Next row: K3, (p2, k2) 5 times, k1"

which would indicate to me that there were 5 sections of k2p2 ribbing but if you just knit the knits and purl the purls as I did, there is only 1 section of p2 in the middle.

So, I just ignored this section and continued on (with just the one section of p2 in the middle) until it was the appropriate length. It still looks great but it's not how the pattern was intended.

Please don't spend too much time on this as I have figured out an alternative solution but I was just wondering if anyone else had found that this particular leaflet was difficult to follow. I had trouble with the beret and the cable hat too. Maybe some of that was "user error" but I definitely think the problems with the helmet is something in the way the pattern was written.

I hope I haven't totally confused you with my ramblings!!

Thanks!

Julie

Helmet with ear flaps
from Sirdar Snuggly pattern 1711 for my 2 year old nephew in Patons Canadiana in Rainbow Varigated and Navy.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
miss_molly
1st Leg of the Journey

You're right, Julie, that helmet pattern IS badly written. I ended up getting out some leftover yarn and knitting one ear flap, and like you I was getting pretty frazzled with it!

I did end up with k2, p2 columns of ribbing... its actually 3 knits on each end, with p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2 in between, but only after very painstaking checking and re-checking as I knit. I really think Sirdar failed here, though their patterns are usually reliable!

Quote:
"Next row: K1, inc in next st, patt to last 3 sts, inc in next st, K2. 10 sts"
I think when the pattern says to "patt to last 3 sts" its a bit of a cop-out on their part! LOL... because it IS hard to figure out, so rather than try to spell it out to the knitter, they're saying do the best you can!

What I decided was that they want you to have the first and last stitch a knit, whether you're working on the wrong or the right side. I guess that's supposed to give a nice edge to the strap. This, combined with the little bumps made by my increase stitches, made it hard to keep with the pattern. Those bumps looked like they were supposed to be purled when I came to the next row, but sometimes if I purled them I found that to keep in sync with the pattern they should have been knit. Other times if I purled them it was right in keeping with the rib forming... it depended on which number row I was up to.

So in the part where it says "Rep last 2 rows 7 times more. 24 sts." you can't always repeat those last 2 rows exactly as they are written. The first and last stitch does always need to be a knit, but its the 2nd and second last stitch that varies and throws the pattern out if you're not careful. Sometimes it should have been a knit, sometimes a purl, and I had to feel my way carefully and follow the k2, p2 rib idea by visually checking OUTwards from the middle. Your original k2, p2 rib will be the centre stitches, so make sure that the ribbing either side of that is k2, p2 as the width of your strap increases. Each time you turn back to the right side, check that and if you've messed up you can quickly go back to the previous row and fix it.

Guess that's not much help, especially since you've already worked out a compromise, but at least you know that you're not the only one who's not a beginner knitter and yet found this confusing.

As for the stitch counts in the other hats, they look pretty typical as Sirdar hat patterns go. I've done a lot of their hats and they tend to be pretty similar in method. That doesn't mean there isn't necessarily an error in stitch counts somewhere, but without knowing exactly which size and style and row you had problems with, I can't say.

There's an email address for Sirdar's helpline at the bottom back of the leaflet. I've contacted them before and they've been most helpful, so perhaps try that if you knit from this pattern again?

sofiecat
miss_molly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miss_molly For This Useful Post:
ladybug_ja (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
ladybug_ja
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you SO much for spending time on this! It is nice to know that I am not crazy!!! I did try emailing Sirdar but they did not reply to me.

Again, I really appreciate you figuring this out for me!!

Julie

Helmet with ear flaps