Old 12-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
newknitter23
Ribbing the Cuff

Help with fingerless gloves
My husband got me a glove knitting book called "Knitting New Gloves and Scarves" by Robin Melanson. And I'm trying to figure out this pattern called Filigree. Im practicing with a cheaper cotton yarn then what it calls for just to make sure I get the pattern down before I begin the actual project. So here is the pattern

cast on 32 sts with long tail cast on devide evenly among four dpn(8-8-8-8) join for working in the round, place marker. Purl one round, knit one round, purl one round

I understand all that.

Change to open work pattern in the rnd work even for 16 rnds

here is the open work pattern

(multiple of 4 sts; 4-rnd repeat) What does this mean?

RND 1: Knit wrapping yarn around needle twice for each stitch.

I understant that

RND 2: *slip next 4 stitchs to right hand needle, dropping extra wraps, slip them back to left hand needle, then k4tog, p4tog into these 4 sts; repeat from * to end [ note: stitch count will be half of original number ofter this rnd]

RND 3: *K1, YO; repeat from * to end.[ Note: original stitch count restored.]

RND 4: Knit

Repeat Rnds 1-4 for openwork pattern in the round.

okay I get lost at round two. I tried slipping four sts dropping extra wrap replacing those to left hand needle and k4tog then sliping 4 sts dropping extra wraps replacing on left hand needle and p4tog. I ended up with to few sts, so Im doing it wrong, but dont understand how to "k4tog, p4tog into these 4 sts"

Thanks anyone who can help me out here. also what does it mean when it says " multiple of 4 sts; 4-rnd repeat" ?
newknitter23 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by newknitter23 View Post

RND 2: *slip next 4 stitchs to right hand needle, dropping extra wraps, slip them back to left hand needle, then k4tog, p4tog into these 4 sts; repeat from * to end [ note: stitch count will be half of original number ofter this rnd]

RND 3: *K1, YO; repeat from * to end.[ Note: original stitch count restored.]

RND 4: Knit

Repeat Rnds 1-4 for openwork pattern in the round.

okay I get lost at round two. I tried slipping four sts dropping extra wrap replacing those to left hand needle and k4tog then sliping 4 sts dropping extra wraps replacing on left hand needle and p4tog. I ended up with to few sts, so Im doing it wrong, but dont understand how to "k4tog, p4tog into these 4 sts"

Thanks anyone who can help me out here. also what does it mean when it says " multiple of 4 sts; 4-rnd repeat" ?
First you are transferring 4 stitches from the left needle to the right needle. Then you drop your yarn overs from the needle. Next you slip your 4 stitches back to the left needle and knit the 4 stitches together. Without taking the stitches from the needle you are going to purl into the same 4 stitches then take them off the needle and start again from the *

The pattern is will work over any multiple of 4 stitches and one pattern is complete after you work 4 rounds.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
newknitter23
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you
Originally Posted by zkimom View Post
First you are transferring 4 stitches from the left needle to the right needle. Then you drop your yarn overs from the needle. Next you slip your 4 stitches back to the left needle and knit the 4 stitches together. Without taking the stitches from the needle you are going to purl into the same 4 stitches then take them off the needle and start again from the *

The pattern is will work over any multiple of 4 stitches and one pattern is complete after you work 4 rounds.
I got it, I decided after posting this, to take the pattern literally. I guess I just need to trust what the pattern says. I was afraid I would do it wrong, but I need to be a little brave with my knitting and just go for it. Thank you for your help. Im very excited about this pattern, its the first gloves I have ever made
newknitter23 is offline   Reply With Quote