Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
not2crafty
Casting On

The yarn I have says Queensland Collection Kathmandu DK and it is 85% merino wool, 10% silk, 5% cashmere. On the tag it says 30 rows x 20 stitches = 10x10 cm with 4mm (us 6) needles. It is quite thin and small. I'm sure that if I did 24 stitches, like you said I could get closer to 4". I did have the edges pinned down so they weren't curling when I measured. Do you suggest I do another swatch or add stitches to the pattern?
not2crafty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Add stitches to the pattern. The yarn in the pattern is a heavy worsted weight and you have DK. If you go up in needles size too far to try and get gauge, it may be too thin. The pattern wants 4sts/in and you probably get about 5 sts/inch, so figure how many you need for the hat size you want. Whenever you do a gauge swatch on any yarn, you should always CO about 6-8 sts more than the number given for 4" because of what I posted about the edge sts not measuring the same.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
not2crafty
Casting On

That really clears things up. Yes, I got 5 sts/inch with the #7 needles, so is that the right size I should stick with? I want a 22" diameter on the hat (dh's head is 22 3/4, but it's better to stretch then be too big, right?). So, I figured that to be 110 sts to CO. So, would I add those extra stitches just anywhere between the ear flaps? Do I increase the number of stitches anywhere besides that CO (like the ear flaps, etc...?).

After CO the instructions say, "If using thinner wool, knit one round; then purl 6 (8), knit 20 (20), purl 32 (34), knit 20 (20), purl 6 (8). Continue knitting in stockinette st, until the hat measures 6" (6 1/2")."
So, that means that the second row knits and purls in sections rather than a stockinette st, right? I guess I need to convert all those numbers as well?

Maybe I should post this as a new thread to give you a break, or are you the only moderator?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

That's good, you want a hat to be slightly smaller than the head size or it's too loose. You would start the ear flaps the same, but because the sts and rows are both smaller, you want to increase them some. Since the pattern instructs you to knit to 18 or 20 sts, that's 4-5" by measure. So you would inc to the same measure. Then also increase the number of sts you CO between the flaps both back and front. Take the sts in the original pattern and convert that to inches at 4sts/inch, then convert the measurement to your 5sts/inch and that should work out right. The lengths are given in inches so you're fine there. You'll have more sts when you get to the decrease rows, so you'll have to see if you can divide 7 or 8 sts into that number and you may have to start the decs by doing k6 k2tog, k9 or 10 around instead of k6, k2tog, k8.

Oh, no, I'm not the only mod and other mods as well as other knitters are free to jump into a thread whenever. It's just that when it's more one on one and into the specifics of a pattern like this thread is, and no one else has anything additional to contribute, they tend to just read.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
not2crafty
Casting On

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help! I'll get my calculator out and see what I can do with the pattern. Plus now I feel like I can actually get started! Just to clarify, would you say stick with the #7 needles?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes, the 7s should make a dense enough knit and not be too flimsy to make a warm hat.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #17
not2crafty
Casting On

Okay, I've got both my ear flaps made, and I'm ready to CO for my hat, but I'm still having trouble visualizing how I'm going to go from CO to knitting on the flaps back to CO. What do I do with my yarn from casting on? Like how do I switch from my casting on yarn to my yarn from my ear flaps and back again? Not sure if my question make sense, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do this when I sit down to do it tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

Cast on using knit or cable cast on. Put the needle in your right hand and knit the 1st flap with the yarn from the cast on. Then switch the needle to your left hand and cast on from the last stitch of the flap that you knit. Switch the needle back to the right and knit the other flap, then you either cast on more sts or start knitting the first stitch you cast on, depends on your pattern. Don't worry, when you get there, the yarn will be where you need it. It's the needle you have to switch back and forth, not the yarn. Don't think it, just do it....

Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #19
not2crafty
Casting On

You were right. It worked out. I CO 112 sts (including ear flaps). I double-counted and had 112 sts on my needle. Then I knit one row as according to the instructions, and recounted to make sure and now I have 116 stitches. I have no idea how I did that! What do I do now? Do I need to try to take out the whole row and do it over?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Hmmm... was there supposed to be an increase on the first row, or did you inadvertently knit a loose strand from where you attached the earflaps? Even if you can't figure it out, you can dec those 4 sts on the next round and keep going.