Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Mike
Working the Gusset

I like drawing females for gifts.
It's not exactly within the limits because the value is way over $20-$30 but I can melt down some scrap gold and come up with something without a problem. My out of pocket isn't over the $20-$30 so I figure it works.

My one nephew is easy. He likes old nickels, and so do I. So if I'd want it he'd want it. I just go into the coin dealer and say I want a _______ nickel for around $20-$30. The dealer old so his prices are old and whatever he pulls out for that price is a good deal.
If your husband likes coins he probably has a category he likes.

A long time ago my brother mentioned cast iron cookware. When I finally drew his name I remembered that. It was a good one, other than now that he has a kitchen he doesn't cook as much.
But now that that ones over I can't think of anything.

My niece is wanting apple trees. Her husband mentioned she can get whatever she wants but he's getting an apricot. He wanted stamps, regular NEW postage stamps. He getting an apricot tree, buy your own stamps.

My brother-in-law is difficult, he can afford anything he wants. But he also wants enough DVD series that a new season of something is always coming out.

Another nephew has a hobby of the month. He's also another DVD one.

The last nephew is poor so he's easy to buy for.

I'm a problem. I think of stuff in spring and have forgotten by fall. But I have enough hobbies I should be fairly easy to take a stab at.

Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
If he likes t.v. series, get him a DVD recorder, so that he can record his own. You can get them with HD.
You cannot record HD on DVD. That's why they have Blueray and HD DVD.
They don't look bad recorded from digital if you don't record in 6 hours but they're not HD.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #12
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
My husband always says the same thing...socks, just get me socks
My Dad always said that! Now, just for kicks, I usually send my brother a pair or two and a certificate for some See's Candies.

My DH likes mantel clocks, so he's getting a cool one with a lion on the top that I found. He's also getting a watch that clips onto a belt loop, or something like that. He's into Civil War re-enacting, so that makes it easy too. He is NOT getting any books from me this year, he has, and I'm not joking, 42 stacked that he hasn't had a chance to read yet. All of them histories.

My son asked for some money to be donated, in his name, to an Israeli soldier's relief organization, and tickets for the new 'Star Trek' movie, if and when it comes out.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I solved that problem years ago...

Both my hubby and I are not gift givers...going out and finding that perfect gift is not our thing....

So we don't exchange gifts. If he wants me to knit him something I will....and if I am drooling over that ball of yarn he gets it for me...it is kinda an all year thing....

It sort of does lose the element of surprize, but it does take a whole lot of pressure off occasions. For birthdays and special days we would prefer to go out for a nice meal rather than exchange gifts....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I have one kid who does not want me to spend any money on her
again and again she gets angry when I get her something she needs if it is new, but if I find it used she will consider things
UGH difficult teenager in reverse

my other one wants
just wants, nearly anything
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

The Dark Knight comes out on the 9th. If my husband doesn't go out and buy it (which he probably will), then it will be a gift for him.

He likes it when I make him a new hat every winter and this year I haven't had a chance, so I might get a secret one going. Might be hard for me to finish with a curious little one hanging around me the whole time though.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
My daughter and I were just lamenting this issue last night! Most of stuff guys want is expensive.. electronics, season tickets, etc.. My DH has multiple hobbies..he sails, paints, is taking classes in ceramics, he reads, plays sudoku, does woodworking, ..you'd think it would be easy, but nooooooo. He tends to just buy what he wants and even though I think I am easy he always has trouble with me.. so for the last many years we have just not exchanged gifts. The other day I was looking in an Llbean catalog and said I'd like to get these slippers and he grabbed it and said he'd get them for me for Christmas. Nice... except now I have to get something for him. I don't mind spending the money, but geez... he doesn't need tools or painting supplies, I don't know what books he's read, not a clue about sailing stuff.. Oh well, I'll figure out something..

ETA: I'm always envious of people who know just the perfect gift to get their spouse... WHO are these people??

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
DQ
Working the Gusset

I generally get my hubby to give me a list of ideas and go from there! This year I've got him one jokey gift one from his list, one inspired by the list and one total surprise
Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
Mike
Working the Gusset

There's always stuff from Victoria's Secret.

Trust me, it's not the same as him buying you a bowling ball with his initials on it.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
There's always stuff from Victoria's Secret.

Trust me, it's not the same as him buying you a bowling ball with his initials on it.
Are you saying I should buy him some lingerie...that fits me?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #20
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
If they hav something that looks nice on him then go for it.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote