Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #31
shelluie
1st Leg of the Journey

I think that if a person wants to sell something that they've knit, they should sell it for a price that they are comfortable and happy with. I don't think there is any magical system for deciding what price to charge. I for one would never charge $100.00 for a scarf because there is nobody that I know that would be able to afford it. I'm sure there are people out there that can afford that kind of price tag but I'm thinking they are few and far between in the area where I live. If you happen to live in an area where you can get that kind of money for a scarf - that's awesome!!! Just curious...how much would you then charge for a blanket???
shelluie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shelluie For This Useful Post:
breakfastattiffanys09 (12-10-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #32
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
I don't charge to teach my friends or help them out with a project. As far as making the item for them, I usually only cover the price of the yarn, they are my friends. For someone that is just an acquaintance I would just charge double the materials(yarn, not needles) for the item.
kellee0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kellee0302 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #33
Kashshaptu
Casting On

I know loads of people have replied on this, but I thought I'd chip in as well. I have lots of friends requesting things from me. For close friends who really want something in particular, I'll ask them to cover the yarn, any time, experience and other cost-related things are free of charge, though within reasonable limits.

I also have a good friend who wanted this scarf from the Doctor Who show (it's about 9 feet long I think), he covered all of the yarn cost and said he'd give me 50 euros (60-70 dollar?) for the time and effort I spend on it. Which I do think is only fair.

It really depends on what you knit for them. Scarves take a while (if knitted on a small needle), but are fairly simple and don't need much attention to knit. Big sweaters and other weird, extravagant things will cost you more effort, time and attention, so that means it's not unfair to ask a small fee for that....Especially cause most knitters have so many projects of their own as well

Though of course, christmas is a good time to knit presents for people as well
Kashshaptu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kashshaptu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #34
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

How do you feel about $10 an hour for a lesson or $15? You have to feel comfortable with the price, like you're not ripping them off or yourself. $15 is very reasonable but if you would like to help them out then $10 would be good for them. If you pay around $5 for the yarn, $20 would be a good price for a scarf, maybe even $15.
You have to search to see what makes you feel good... if you pay a lot for the yarn then it's worth much more, also with details in the pattern. I sold my first two hats last Christmas, one for $65 and one for $50 but it was very expensive yarn and complicated (sort of) patterns. I was amazed I got that much though! But down the street at Barney's here in New York, they are getting $185 for a simple thick knit hat. ha Good luck.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VictoiseC For This Useful Post: