Old 12-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
marilyn820
Casting On

lining the buttonband with grosgrain ribbon
Can anyone tell me how to line the buttonband of a cardigan with grosgrain ribbon? What about the buttonhole side? I have a baby sweater where I have to pick up the stitches on the sides of the fronts and k1p1 rib. I'm thinking that a grosgrain ribbon will give it stability, but I've never done this before. Anyone with experience on this?
marilyn820 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I have picked up plenty of stitches on the fronts of baby sweaters and done K1, P1 ribbing, but I have never lined them with grosgrain ribbon. I have never found it necessary. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea if that is what you really want to do, I'm just saying I have made a lot of sweaters and seen a lot of patterns and they are not not used, or really needed.

That said, I can't really be of any help on how to do this. I looked in several of my knitting books and no one addresses this issue. Sorry I can't be of more help. I know they used to do this on some sweaters (store bought, and probably hand made), and may still do it but I haven't seen it done.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
I liked the button bands on a sweater with grosgrain ribbon, but I didn't have the typical buttonholes and buttons on it. It had a clasp. I would think you could still do it, but where you have to slit it for the button hole you sew around it to the knitted fabric to hold it. I haven't done it though.

Here's what I did - At least you can see part of the ribbon.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote