Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
BeginnerKnitter24
Casting On

Brand new to knitting-want to make mittens!
Hi everyone! I'm new here and am so glad to have found this forum.

I have been looking ALL over for a pair of lamb/sheep mittens or gloves for a long time for a Christmas gift and have literally not been able to find a single pair. The only thing I could find was this pattern http://www.iseespots.com/store/p-190...ttens-hat.aspx which I just ordered. The problem? I've never knitted anything and don't have any supplies or a clue what any of that "knit talk" means. It's like reading a foreign language for me lol. I know, what was I thinking right?

My question is, how impossible do you think it would be for a completely green knitter to complete this pair of mittens by Christmas? And please, any and ALL advice and tips(books, videos etc) are welcomed. I have a feeling this isnt going to work out but I'm determined to find some way to do this, even if I have to pay someone at my local craft store to do it for me lol. Thanks in advance!
BeginnerKnitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Well, I think it might be a rather ambitious project for a new knitter to have done by Christmas. Mittens aren't hard, but there is some shaping involved. If you made them plain they'd be easier, but they are going to have some intarsia and stranded (fair isle) knitting as well which involves 2 or more colors. At least they are knit flat so you won't need to learn to knit in the round on double pointed needles quite yet because these are seamed.

I suggest you get some needles and yarn and start practicing some basic stitches so you can learn to knit with even tension as well as becoming comfortable with the knitting itself. There are lots of basic videos at the top of the forum page on the videos tab. Here's a few more links that might help, too.
http://www.community.knitpicks.com/notes
http://www.theknittingsite.com/videos.html
http://www.ehow.com/articles_4108-knitting.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
of troy
Turning the Heel

Do you really want to do this?

then do it!
Yes it will be hard.. but christmas doesn't end on Dec 26th.. if you get bogged down, give yourself a break and let the 3 kings bring the mittens..

I learned color work after 6 months of knitting (and i taught myself to do it!) --I loved it then, and 47 years later, i still love color work.

Its always easy to learn what you love.

(ann modisett learned to knit and almost immediately plunged into a multi color SWEATER(and she is a not a little women.. she is 6 foot tall, and even slim, that is a big sweater.

every one told her 'too hard" "do something easier" but she loved the pattern, and finished the sweater in days!

So don't be afraid! You can do it! (and you'll love it!)