Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
twosticksandstring5
Casting On

Pattern from Book - Lace Spiral Scarf - Need help!
Hello,
I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out the pattern from a book (not sure if I can post the name of the book). I am really having a hard time with this! I am posting the first few lines so someone can help unbaffle me.

Cast on 10 sts
Row 1: [k1, yo twice, k1], k7 wt
row 2: slip 1, k7, [k2, p1, k1].
row 3: [k4], k6, wt.
row 4: slip 1, k6, [k2tog twice, loosely].
etc.

It seems simple enought, but I don't understand how I wrap a stitch at the end of the row. Once I wrap, the yarn is now is the front of the stitch when I turn the work around. Do I wrap it all the way around or just bring it to the back (where it was) and continue from there?? Also, why are some stitches in brackets? Do I slip the first stitch of row 2 knitwise or purlwise? The second row assumes I have 12 stitches - where did the extra two come from if I only did "one" yarn over on the previous row?
On row 3 - after I knit the 10 sts, do I wrap the yarn and turn the work even if I have 2 unknitted stitches remaining?

This pattern is sooo confusing!

Thanks in advance.
Debbie
twosticksandstring5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Cast on 10 sts
etc.

OK, let's see.

On row 1, you're using 9 of the stitches, but not knitting the last one. Instead, you will wrap the last stitch to avoid a hole and just slip it. When you w&t, you bring the yarn to the front, slip the next stitch, bring the yarn to the back and slip the stitch back. In this case, I believe, you'll end up with the wrapped stitch still on your left needle when you turn. The yarn will be in the front, but I think you'd just put it to the back and slip the first stitch of row 2, purlwise.

You started with 10, and you do a double wrap on row 1, so you'll have 12 stitches to work on row 2, including the wrapped stitch.

On Row 3, you're only using 10 of the 12, leaving the two on the needle.

Check out the video on 'wrap & turn' if you're unsure how to do it; it looks like you're working short rows on the odd rows and all the stitches on the evens.

BTW--it's OK to post the name of the book, so if any of us have it, we can look at the pattern.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
You started with 10, and you do a double wrap on row 1, so you'll have 12 stitches
As in double YO, not a double wrap and turn...

This article also explains w&t - Short rows at knitty

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
twosticksandstring5
Casting On

Yarn Over Twice
Is there a trick to knitting into the yarn over twice on the return row? When i come back, all I see is one big stitch to knit into.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Yes, it is tricky. Watch your stitches carefully, because that second yo wants to slide off with the first. Your best bet is to knit into the first one and then purl into the second one. I realize that the pattern doesn't say that, but it will work well and won't really show in the garter pattern.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Actually, it does have you knit into the first yo, and purl the 2nd. Those would be the 2nd and 3rd sts from the end - so when you "slip 1, k7, [k2, p1, k1]" that works out just right.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
twosticksandstring5
Casting On

Still living in confusion
I am still having trouble!

here it is again:
Cast on 10 sts
etc.

Okay. I cast on 10 stitches. On row 1 I add 2 stitches thanks to the yo twice, but I am only working into 9 of the stitches and the last stitch remains on the needle with the wt, correct? So when I turn the work around I have 1 less stitch on the left needle for a total of 11.

If this is correct, row 3 is wrong because it requires 12 stitches and I start the row 3 with only 11. Am I wrong? Should I slip the last stitch that I WT on row 1 back onto the Right needle before turning?? I am so confused. The book is 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders.
If I can get past row 3 I might be doing good

Thanks again
Debbie
Old 12-11-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

No, you have 12 sts on row 2. Wrap the last st on row 1, turn and slip it, k7 (8 sts now) then k2, p1, k1 for a total of 12.

R 3 is worked over 10 sts, then you w&t the 11ths st, leaving 1 st unworked on the end.

R 4 - slip the wrapped st from r 3, k6, then k2tog 2 times. That uses 11 sts.

Try that, see if it works for you.... I think you're forgetting that you do count the wrapped stitch and that you slip it on the next row.