Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #101
Karina
Working the Gusset

I went with the Cascade 109 as it seems every so slightly bulkyer. I orderd 20 skeins of the Italian plum. I should have leftovers to make a pair of long wrists warmers and/or a hat or two.

Happy new year everybody. it is 2.20am here and I am off to bed.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #102
Marria
Working the Gusset

I'm not going to join the KAL for Sylvi because I have so many other UFOs I want to finish, but I do have it in my queue on Ravelry, and I will definitely follow along to get all the good information for when I do make it. I really appreciate all the tips and info in this thread so far. I'm thinking it will save me some time and trouble when I do knit it.

Thanks!

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #103
slugmom
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by laikabear View Post
Hi Slugmom, welcome to the KAL!
I'd get a different yarn and use the Bernat for something else.
Thank you, Laikabear, for your welcome & reply -- I had meant to reply/thank you in my previous post but am spacey and distracted with not enough sleep and the holidays and a baby

And thank you, ArtLady, for your offer to help me figure out size and things... I ended up doing some quick calculations and deciding my -upsize what I knit plan wouldn't work, I'm too close to the large end already to compensate for my gauge.

So I decided to do what Laikabear suggested, and return the yarn and find something else for this.

Soo ... I know there have been several suggestions in this thread, but it looks like they're mostly wool ... does anyone have any suggestions for a good, inexpensiveish yarn that would be easy-care -- won't shrink or bleed or felt on me ???

I feel like I'm back to square one, and discouraged. I was sooo excited when I first ordered the Bernat.

Thank you!!!

Kim
Old 01-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #104
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
I just got an email with an updated version of the Sylvi pattern. make sure everybody that have bought this pattern look out for their email. Hope you all have a great Christmas.
Just got back the other day from a backpacking tip and got my update too. Thanks!!

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #105
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
I went with the Cascade 109 as it seems every so slightly bulkyer. I orderd 20 skeins of the Italian plum. I should have leftovers to make a pair of long wrists warmers and/or a hat or two.

Happy new year everybody. it is 2.20am here and I am off to bed.
I went with Cascade 109 as well in Aubergine.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #106
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by slugmom View Post
Thank you, Laikabear, for your welcome & reply -- I had meant to reply/thank you in my previous post but am spacey and distracted with not enough sleep and the holidays and a baby

And thank you, ArtLady, for your offer to help me figure out size and things... I ended up doing some quick calculations and deciding my -upsize what I knit plan wouldn't work, I'm too close to the large end already to compensate for my gauge.

So I decided to do what Laikabear suggested, and return the yarn and find something else for this.

Soo ... I know there have been several suggestions in this thread, but it looks like they're mostly wool ... does anyone have any suggestions for a good, inexpensiveish yarn that would be easy-care -- won't shrink or bleed or felt on me ???

I feel like I'm back to square one, and discouraged. I was sooo excited when I first ordered the Bernat.

Thank you!!!

Kim
Awww - don't be discourages slugmom! We're all here to ENCOURAGE you Check out Artlady's suggestions on yarn.com (aka Webs). Wool can shrink and felt in a wash, but some wools do ok on a gentle cycle in cold water and NOT dried in a drier. As for r wools like superwash that would be good for this project I don't really have a suggestion right off the top of my head. Perhaps someone else here might know more though.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #107
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Here are some photos of SYLVI by a Ravelry knitter.
Her Ravelry user name is "knits" and her personal name is Diana.
HERE is a link to her Ravelry page...in case you are a Raveler and would like to learn more about her modifications. She is also a member of the Ravelry SYLVI group, which is where she posted her SYLVI.

She made a short length, and modified the cuffs as well.
I must say, I really like it, don't you?

She is an adorable redhead, and this SYLVI cropped jacket suits her to a "T"! She lives in Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Marria (01-05-2009)
Old 01-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #108
evona
Working the Gusset

That is really cute and that green looks really great with her red hair. I like that shorter style, but I do think I'll be doing the longer one. Its great to see all the modifications though. The shorter style might be good for my daughter who is on the short side. Longer coats look frumpy on her, unfortunately.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #109
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

I just have to tell you that I have been lurking on this thread since the beginning and I think you are all unbelievably brave! I probably *could* knit it but the men in the little white coats would come for me for sure....

With 2 little kids, a crazy dog, a husband and a jewelry studio practice, it would be too much!

Good luck, I can't wait to see all your coats!!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #110
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Hartley... I think you might have to join us... Think about it, you'll have all of us supporting you... Well, we're mostly not starting till Feb 1, so you have plenty of time to think. And if you wait till Feb 15 or so, Artlady will probably be FINISHED and at least the rest of us will have had a chance to start making mistakes!

Slugmom, sorry if I discouraged you! I think wool or superwash wool would be the best yarn for the coat. I know some are using Knitpicks Wool of the Andes (I have a color card but haven't used it before). Maybe Lion Brand superwash wool has a super bulky option, does anyone know? I got the Cascade 109 since it was so cheap, and once it's blocked I'm hoping not to have to wash it very often since it is a coat! Since it's so big, I'll probably have it dry cleaned as needed instead of trying to care for it myself.

Before I started knitting last year, I hated wool and would never buy anything made with wool since it was too itchy. I actually WANTED to get sweaters only made of cotton or acrylic! And I didn't want anything that was dry clean only. I wanted to be able to at least hand wash and dry flat (especially since I can never find those cool DRYEL refills anymore). Now that I'm a knitter, I LOVE wool and will tolerate a fair amount of itchiness, as well as I even have handwash only SOCKS! I guess I'm just saying that I think once you've made your SYLVI you'll love it so much you will want to do what it takes to keep it looking nice.