Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Well, my only tall friend is a master knitter! And she would need a bigger size than 47". She is good at modifying 'too small' patterns for her size, but I don't know how she does it! Her knitting is fabulous! I guess you know what we do when we're on vacation together! And we went on an Knitter's Alaskan Cruise in 2004! That was the cruise that had 4 virtuoso designers aboard who gave 21 hours of classes throughout the week!!! Each knitter could decide which designer would be her "in depth" class...and then you also got 2 hrs short class from each of the other 3 designers. Elsebeth Lavold was my "in depth" class. I've never ever again seen a Knitter's Cruise designer line-up that was as good as our 2004 Knitter's cruise. We had Elsebeth Lavold, Sasha Kagan, Chris Bylsman and Nancie Wiseman. Man o man. What a lineup!

Two of my girls are short...and being young...they have their own taste...and it is not this coat. And my tall girl wouldn't wear this coat, either.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

WEBS also has the Cascade 109 in tweeds! $4.99 per sk.

What color do you think? The white tweed is interesting...but I sure an stuck on the RED of the model sweater. Sigh.

Me and RED. I just get so 'locked on' to it!!!

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #23
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

That is *gorgeous*!! I wish I had the time

And ArtLady, I am with you! I get stuck on RED too~everything just looks SO good in it! So I would say go for the Red!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxhil View Post

That is *gorgeous*!! I wish I had the time
I wish I had the nerve!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #25
evona
Working the Gusset

You know, I got a card good for 1 trip to the yarn store from my BF's mother for my birthday and I have been thinking and thinking about what special knitted thing I want to use that trip for. I think this pattern is it

Last edited by evona : 12-10-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: change "god" to "good". . .lol
evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #26
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

So here's what I could do, maybe: I would have to start my chart on the row that is right above the tip of that very first leaf on the right.

The first flower on the left side of this view would be located near the hem of my coat...and everything else would flow up from there, as per pattern. I would eliminate about 10" I bet!

I could jimmy the arrangement of the petals of flower #1 because they are, no doubt, knit separately. As for the missing leaf, if I really really really need one, I could knit one separately later and plop it somewheres.

Well, ladies, how about we start this coat on Feb 1st?

I'm gonna get that Cascade 109 tweed, I think, from WEBS while it's being discounted for closeout...or the Brown Sheep Bulky. Depends on the colors available. I'll make this coat in red, denim blue or white. Haven't decided. I love the Cascade 109 white tweed. Yum! I'm not sure I'm wild about the shades of reds offered. Red is tricky.

I am hosting the KH-January KAL (that seamless stashghan) so I can't start til Feb...but we could all of us use January to get our patterns, get our yarn, swatch swatch swatch...get our notebook set up...get the charts printed and colored in...and so forth. I take all these steps before ever casting on one stitch for any coat or cardigan or pullover. Before I ever cast on, I know exactly what I'm gonna do and when I'm gonna do it.

Do any of you remember the Central Park Hoodie KAL that I hosted a while back? If you take a look at the first few pages, you will see an example of how I set up my charts for easier management (to eliminate mistakes) ...and how I set up my notebook (I decipher 'patternese' talk into plain ole English).

It takes a bit of time, true, but then so does tinking and frogging! My preparations are part of the reason I get a project done so quickly. With good preparation, I rarely have to re-do anything. Then all I do is follow my orders to myself.

You know how some husbands get on the road, they point their car in about the right direction...and just drive around til they find what they're looking for? No map, no plan...just drive. They do get there eventually...but it isn't my kind of trip.

Here's how I plan a big trip: I get a 'trip tych' from AAA.
I mapquest what I don't understand.

For short trips: I mapquest, mapquest, mapquest. I look at the printed map...I look at the reality map. I zoom in to 'see' the street. I compare those printouts with what a hostess has told me.

Before I leave the driveway, I'm really already there...or have been there by virtual travel! I have my plan of attack. I never get lost. I dont' take wrong exits. I don't turn left instead of right.

Well, that's how I knit, too!

Is that OCD? I dunno. I call it Preparation!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Marria (12-24-2008)
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #27
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Oh how I LOVE patterns that are PDF downloads. I already have my pattern!!!!! Now I can hardly wait to print it and study it!

Artlady at Rav
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #28
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Art Lady, if anyone can modify and actually knit this - well you are THE one. It would smashing on you - I don't care if you are 5' or 6'. I LOVE this pattern, but fear I am not up to the challenge. Sigh.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #29
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

OK...some questions are answered!

1) great charts! the best I've seen! full page charts that are very easy to read; we won't have to enlarge them manually!!
2) the leaves (easy) are knitted in as you go, as are the bobbles
3) the flower petals are knit separately, and they are easy-peasy and are of course charted (relief)
5) the PDF is 9 pages long...so we are definitely not short-changed on directions and extras!!! worth the $7!

4) finished length for my size: 39"

Way way way too long for me! My longest cardigan is 34"...and it makes me look a tree stump with skirt on.

Anyways....leaving out the first dozen (or so) rows will be just the remedy for me! After I swatch my yarn (and get a row gauge), I'll be able to determine exactly how many of those first rows I have to eliminate. I don't want this coat to hit me at just below the knees. Either come down to almost the floor, or mid-thigh-ish for us shorties.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Marria (01-01-2009)
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #30
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

We can plan our KAL here for the next two months...etc...and in late January, I will organize the actual KAL. I hope to have my notebook built, and swatch photos...so can post those at that time.

In the meantime, let's share links etc about our yarn search!

I checked my stash...the only yarn I could possible use is 4,360 yards of a RowanSpun DK. (don't ask...I have no clue what I was thinking when I bought it! )

Will two strands of DK make the same gauge as a bulky? Hmmm. Well I gotta dig it out and give it a trial run. The Ravelry software says it knits at 20-21 st per 4"...so it is a fat DK.

Afterall, I'm supposed to also get the 2009 Year of the Stash train revved up on Jan 1, 2009 as well.

Artlady at Rav