Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Converting Mini Vine pattern to circular
Hi guys:

I'm busy tearing my hair out trying to get everything ready for the next move (to Brussels, I think), but am also trying to get my next project ready for casting on, or at least swatching. I'm afraid I'm so distracted that I'll get this backwards, so I thought I'd run it by you all to make sure I haven't got it dead wrong...

Pattern is the Mini Vine pattern, the original is as follows:

Mini Vine Lace (Multiple of 7 + 3)
R1 (and all WS rows): Purl.
R2: K2* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K1.
R4: K1* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K2.

So since that's from the top down, and I want to work bottom up and in the round, it *should* be:

R1 (and all WS rows): knit
R2: K1* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K2.
R4: K2* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K1.

...right? ETA: I need that 3 stitch bit at the back, so I've left it on, even though this is in the round!

Thanks in advance!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I think when converting to round you drop the +3, but I'm not sure..

And how is it you get to move so much? Is it for your job? How cool!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (04-07-2009)
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Oh, good, it's just I need that 3 knit stitches in the back as a sort of "seam"...I might take it out, though. If everything else is right, that's good, because it means I'm not as brain dead as I feel.

This basically started out as the world's longest and latest gap year. Then I got involved with a guy from the UK, and now it's sort of elongating...

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ya know, if I was using this in a top down pattern, I wouldn't convert the pattern rows, I'd just knit as is (knitting the WS rows) It might not look quite the same, but it's still a lace pattern. And when you look down, you'd see the original lace pattern, the other people really wouldn't know if it's upside down or not....

Last edited by suzeeq : 04-08-2009 at 11:28 AM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
globaltraveler (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

hee hee hee -- I might have to swatch it that way just to try it and see what it looks like!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the suggestion, Sue! I think I'm going to use it that way. It's a variant of the pattern that is used in the Louisa tunic I just finished (7+3, whereas the vine pattern for Louisa was 9+3), but it was turned "upside down" (if there's such a thing as upside down or rightside up) on the project I found. I like it much better so it "sprays" downwards rather than fountaining upwards, and I feel it will be more flattering lines on this cardi. So thanks for that!

I am trying to find a pattern to replace a fagotted rib pattern in the pattern I'm using, and I think this is going to be it. (I'm changing up the Eyelet Chemise.) The rib took up a bit too much yarn, and I'm going to be short as it is. I was going to do the skirt in the round, then do a placket on the bodice only, and cap sleeves, but decided that doing the skirt in the round really didn't save that much yarn.

I think the pattern doesn't save *that* much yardage, actually, but I do like it better with the gorgeous Hand Maiden Sea Silk I'm using. And someone on the HandMaidens board told me that the Sea Silk will probably stretch a LOT both horizontally and vertically after the first couple of wears (and of course it's classic lace yarn that stretches a great deal in blocking anyway), so I'm hoping I can get away with not having to buy another skein of this oh so expensive yarn -- if I get to the sleeves and I can do the longer sleeves, I will!

I think I'm going to try blocking the skirt on it's own before continuing upward to see how far I can get it to stretch, then size the bodice accordingly...

Comments on any of that, anyone?