Old 12-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
sowillia
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to sowillia
Help with pattern for baby booties
I am having a difficult time with this. I am fairly new to knitting as I do not consider myself intermediate. This is where I am struggling: K18, turn, p9, turn. On 9sts, work 12 rows stockinette. Break yarn. With RS facing, (9sts on needle), pick up 10 stitches along side of food, 9 sts from tow, 10 sts along side of foot and 9 sts on needle (47 sts)
What is breaking the yarn? I am so confused I am started over about 12 times and at the point now of just giving up the whole project. I feel so stupid that I am not getting this at all.
sowillia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Breaking the yarn simply means cut it and leave a tail to weave in later.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
sowillia (12-13-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
sowillia
Casting On

So after you break the yarn and have the other 9sts on your needle what are they talking about:With RS facing, (9sts on needle), pick up 10 stitches along side of food, 9 sts from tow, 10 sts along side of foot and 9 sts on needle (47 sts). That is where I am getting lost at.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
K18, turn, p9, turn. On 9sts, work 12 rows stockinette. Break yarn. With RS facing, (9sts on needle), pick up 10 stitches along side of foot, 9 sts from toe, 10 sts along side of foot and 9 sts on needle (47 sts)
You haven't given all of the pattern before where it says to K18, etc. Evidently you have already made part of a bootie so that you have something that is the toe, and two sides of a foot. After you have knit back and forth 12 rows over half of the 18 stitches, you break the yarn there. You will have 18 stitches still on the needle, 9 of them that you have knitted 12 more rows on than the other 9.

I'm not sure which 9 stitches are the first ones mentioned: "With RS facing, (9sts on needle)". It sounds like you use one of the groups of 9 as a starting place, and include them as the first 9 on the needle (Maybe the other 9 or the other end of the 9 you did the 12 rows on. Look at things and see if you can figure out what would begin to make this look like a bootie.)

I have a few questions. Is this all worked flat? In the round? Or some of both? Is there anyplace we can see the whole pattern?

One of the groups of 9 is your starting point, and just past them you are supposed to pick up 10 stitches along the side of the foot part of what you have done already. Work so that the 10 end up right next to the 9 you start with. Then you are supposed to pick up 9 stitches from the toe of the bootie, 10 more along the other side of the foot and then the other 9 from the ones that were on the needle make the total of 47. It sounds like you could be knitting in the round after this if you haven't been before. You would need to be picking these 47 stitches up on a series of double pointed needles or use a Magic Loop, or 2 circulars.

Does that help at all? Sorry I can't do better without seeing the whole pattern.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
sowillia
Casting On

I finally figured it out. It is a flat. I finally made my very first bootie! Yay! I figured out what went wrong. I am reading the pattern too fast and being ahead of myself. Thank you all for helping and suggesting!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
sowillia
Casting On

Merigold you dont know but your information did help me. Thank you so much! Now I am off to make the matching bootie.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanks for the update on how you are doing. Congratulations on getting your first bootie done. I'm glad I could be of help. Sometimes even if what is said isn't exactly the "answer", it helps you figure it out for yourself.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
ClaireGrandmaMaria
Ribbing the Cuff

I am looking to making a pair of booties too and your reply to Sowilla was very helpful. I just got the yarn on Friday and the pattern yesterday online. On one of the site it even had a video of how to turn and just do the eel and up the back so it look right...Many thanks for the videos...with out it I would be lost..sometime it is not easy to ask for help when you have no idea how and what to ask when your a newbie to this.