Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

Interchangable needles
I have a question about interchangeable needles... I have an opportunity to buy a set at a good price, and can't decide if I want to "take the plunge", so to speak.

I'd consider myself an adventerous beginner at this point LOL I haven't yet ventured into the world of circular knitting, knitting in the round (I don't even know if those two terms mean the same thing or not!)... anything beyond plain old straight needles. I'd like to learn someday, though. In the meantime, my plan was to accumulate the different sized straight needles. Does a set of interchangeable needles do away with the need for straight needles? For example, if I wanted to make something, and the needle calls for a set of #5 straight needles... can I accomplish that using the interchangeable needles? I don't really know how they work, exactly.

Thanks for the help, as always!
AngieLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Marria
Working the Gusset

Circular knitting and knitting in the round are the same.

As for using the interchangeable needle--you can use a circular needle to knit across rather than in the round. You just have to turn it back and forth when you get to the end of the row. In fact, I prefer to use a circular when I'm knitting something heavy, like an afghan, or the back of a large sweater, because the weight is distributed more evenly, and it's easier on the wrists.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

When I was a new knitter, my MIL gave me a bunch of straights, for which I was very grateful.

However, not too long after I started, I had the opportunity to buy a set of Knit Picks Options---and haven't looked back! You can use them for flat or circular knitting. (Of course, you can always use your straights anyway...whatever you prefer).

About a year later, I got a set of the Harmony interchangeables, and I love them as well!

So...if you've got the opportunity and a good price, I say go for it. It won't be wasted money, even if you don't use them for every project---and you'll have a wide variety of sizes at your fingertips!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
sabrinasmom
Knitting the Flap

I started buying straight needles, hadn't used them. took them back and bought a set of interchangables. A lot cheaper. If a pattern calls for different needle sizes just change the needles. I'm knitting a scarf- I cast on with an 8, change to a size 7 for the begiinning rows , change to a 9 for the main part and then back to a 7 for the ending. I have Denise and they are all in a case so I always know where to find my size 5- 11's along with all the cables.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

love the Denise set I use alot...
I no longer use straights unless their double points.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Koehnae
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Koehnae Send a message via Yahoo to Koehnae
Like the others have said, once I started using interchangeables I never looked back. I find circulars easier to knit with and less disruptive to anyone near me. (The close quarters of an airplane are a great example.) I started with the Denise and they were okay, but when I saw the Harmonies I had to have them. The only projects I don't use them for are socks... and even there, once I learned how to do socks on two circulars (Harmonies, of course) I rarely do them any other way.

Koehnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,089 Times in 608 Posts
Another vote for circs over straights! On occasion I'll use my straights, but, I'm usually not happy about it...lol...I love, love, LOVE interchangeable needles! They are also so much easier to store and carry with you. I got my first 2 sets of interchangeables about a year or two ago and after I started using them I decided they ruled...lol...I say definitely get them, you won't regret it!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
ClaireGrandmaMaria
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi There,

I start out with size 10 straight needles...just to see if I like the idea of knitting and maked my granddaughter a blanket..I have the Harmoney interchangeable needles and I just love them...Just got them about a month a lot.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

2 words:
buy them.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

And now more than 2 words.... I started out 7 years ago knitting with 2 sets of knitting needles. I bought the occasional needles I might need for a certain project, etc. 2 years ago my parents bought me a set of bamboo dpns. I used them for EVERYTHING. (it is amazing, with a little work, how many stitches will fit of a 5" DPN....) Sometime this year I traded with some on here for a Boye needlemaster kit..... EL*OH*VE*EE it!!! I use them for everything except small knitting in the round project such as gloves and socks, which I much prefer the use of the DPNs I have.