Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

Felting issues
Hi all,

Recently I felted a bag and two pairs of mittens, each in their own pillow case. Specifically, the bag was in one, and each pair of mittens were in two others. I had to send them through the hot wash and cold rinse cycle twice, due to a door-lock malfunction, and one of the pairs of mittens shrank so much and fused together on the inside.

My question is what can I do about the fusing together part? I could give them away to a child, but no one can get their hands inside to wear them. Any suggestions for next time, regarding the fusing part?

Knitting Escapade
outdoordrea is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Did you check them during the felting? I check every 5-10 min to check for sizing, felting, sticking together, etc.

If you check them you can watch for sizing as some yarns felt faster than others. You can also make sure they aren't felting together and stick something in them (wooden/plastic spoon?) to tease apart any fibers that are attempting to stick.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
outdoordrea
Knitting the Flap

Unfortunately, I was using a front-load washer, and the door lock mechanism wouldn't open after the first cycle, which is why I had to send it through again.

Previously, I used a top loader, which worked great.

Knitting Escapade
outdoordrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Oh I see. That issue would make me think twice about replacing my old washer with a front loader. Well since you can't check you might send the items through one cycle and then use the dryer if you need to do a little more. That way you can check occasionally.

As for the felting together... I guess you could try putting something non-felting in the mitten.. like a piece of cotton fabric or something. Not sure if it would work, but it's worth a try.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
outdoordrea (12-29-2008)